Best projector under $1000?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Michael Elliott, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    I'm looking to get a projector in the coming weeks, although at this time I don't need anything too high tech. I noticed in this weeks Best Buy ad they have a couple for under $800, an InFocus model and an Optoma. Are these brands reliable?

Also, how good will the image be just projecting it on a wall? I might get a real screen but again, at this time it would be someone difficult since I'm moving into a new apartment.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    You can get a good image projecting onto your wall if the surface is smooth, and it's either white or light gray(depending on what projector you buy). The projectors you're talking about are probably business projectors. What are the model numbers? You can get a nice projector for about $1,000 or less. The 2 most popular are the Infocus 4805 and Optoma H31. First you need to decide between LCD or DLP.

3. John S

John S Producer

The Infocus SP5000 as well. Infocus and Optoma are respected names in projectors for sure.

4. Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor Supporting Actor

You may want to consider a BenQ PB6110 - $799. I've had a PB6100 for 2 years now and love it. The 6100 is discontinued but have seen refurbs lately for $575... The 6110 has 1500 lumens, 2000 to 1 contrast and noise=only 26db in economy mode.

5. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    I've seen factory rebuilt InFocus 4805's online at authorized resellers for $600.00. They come with a new bulb and a full warranty.

6. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Dave, every refurb. 4805 I've seen has a 90 day warranty.
    Is that what you mean?

7. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott
    Thanks for the suggestions and feedback. I guess I'll just go for one of the two that's best for the price until I decide to upgrade to something better.

I know very little about these but how long do the bulbs last and when they go out how much are they to replace?

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Michael:

Talk to Kirk Punches at TV Authority about a Infocus 4805 and I know he will give you a great deal on one. As far as the bulbs go it depends on how much you use the projector. Sometimes you can get an extended warranty that will include bulb replacements. I am not sure on the exact cost of a new bulb but they are a couple hundred at least. From what I have heard from members they will typically last from 2 to 3 years depending on your usage.

9. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott
    Thanks a lot Parker.

I'm selling my widescreen set tomorrow so I'll certainly send him an e-mail afterwards.