What's new

Best Projector for big screen with long throw (1 Viewer)

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
I am designing my house with a 28'x 18' dedicated home theatre...I am planning on having a 150" measured diagonally screen....what is the best projector to use as I would like to have it at the back of the room so the front of the projector would be about 26-27' from the screen, is that even a good idea or would I be better of to try to suspend it from the cieling....all in all I would really just like to know what projectors are best suited for a 150" screen and can project in widescreen format as well as standard. thanks and happy thanksgiving all

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
:) I guess that probably rules out crt! That is one big screen. Is it 4x3 or 16x9? How far back do you plan on sitting from this screen? The biggest question is how much is your budget. It may actually take a big one to satisfy all the criteria of this setup.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
I estimate that I will be approximately 12' from the screen and it will be mainly 16x9 as I wouldnt waste my bulb life on a regular television show, I may go with a 130" screen but really want the 150" in my reading I have seen the Sanyo PLV-60 and am impressed with what I have read, they say it can project a screen bigger that 150" if I am understanding what I have read and that the picture quality is quite good

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Can anyone chime in with screendoor effect from 12' away for a 150" diagonal 16x9 screen? (73.5" x 130.7")
Do you have an idea of how large this screen will be from 12' away. The minimum recommended distance to avoid fatigue would be 1.5 x width = 1.5 x 130.7" = 196.05" = 16'4".
A few things to keep in mind.... Are you going to custom make the screen to this size? Keep the minimum seating distance in mind to avoid seeing the screendoor effect (pixels). The larger the image is projected, the dimmer it is so you will need absolute ambient light control. You will also need a projector that is very bright like the Sanyo PLV-70 for instance although I don't know what even this unit will look like projected to that size. Some projectors need a minimum of a 2-3 ft behind the projector for cooling purposes.
Sanyo PLV-70

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Some projectors need a minimum of a 2-3 ft behind the projector for cooling purposes.
I believe the PLV-70 is one of these projectors. One could fabricate a means of redirecting the exhaust to the side, if the unit must be mounted close to a rear wall.

A 150" diag screen is huge; I bet it will even give the PLV-70 a run for its money from a brightness perspective (just a guess, as I've never seen it). Besides the potential screendoor issues at 12', the screen will subtend quite a large angle at this distance, ~49 degrees if my math is accurate. It will be like watching a tennis match while sitting at the net.

Doug

Carl Hood

Grip
My experience if I may -
I also have a 150" diagonal 16x9 screen in a large room. My viweing distance is approximately 17 feet from the screen.
The walls, ceiling and screen wall are painted matt black with the screen being an overlaid rectangle with flat-white ceiling paint. The carpet is a very dark blue. The whole set-up is effective, looks good, and couldn't be more simple.
I have total lighting control and the room is normally set totally dark for viewing. Just like in a regular theatre.
My projector is a Sony 11HT set for CINEMA BLACK mode and the overall brightness/contrast of the picture is superb! In fact, on full power setting (1000 ANSI lumens, the display is a little too bright for my taste.
Screendoor effect is not noticable from where I sit.

Hope this helps,
Carl.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The PLV-70 will probably be one of the better choices because of the brightness, the MLA panels, and the high resolution.

Travis_R

Stunt Coordinator
Yes the theatre room bieng used will have no windows and lights will be very dim or off when movies are playing....I like the PLV-70 specs better now that I have some more information...anyone that has a 150" screen and has some advice/experience on projectors and seating distance I would appreciate it also what exactly is the height and width of a screen that is 150" diagonally.....thanks again all

Carl Hood

Grip
Travis,
Go for it!
I'm sure the PLV-70 is an excellent projector. Can't say I've ever compared the specs to my Sony - and don't really care either - it seemed the best at the time. There are plenly of other threads to read in this forum if you want to discuss relative merits of projectors, and I recommend you do. It all comes down to what pleases you in the end.
I guess the real point is if you have total lighting control over your room, and it seems you have, then a 150" screen and the right projector is going to give you the "WOW!" factor you seek.
Cheers,

Carl.

Boka

Stunt Coordinator
A great place to research the answer to this question would be at www.avsforum.com They have tons of info and helpfull advice on projectors of all techs and sizes. Sorry to sound like a salesman, they've helped me alot

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks