Best projector for around $2500 delivered?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Armando H, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Armando H

Armando H Agent

The subject says it all. It's a Christmas gift for my Dad. I was think of buying him a Toshiba 57hx81 tv until I noticed that some decent projectors can be had for the same price. Any suggestions? I'm gearing more towards LCD since it's less of a set up for him and I don't really want to go with a used projector. He loves my setup, I have the Sanyo plv60 and I'm very happy....but it cost me $4800. I'm not looking to spend more than $2500. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

The NEC LT150 is right up your alley. I got mine delivered from Gateway.com for $2499. This is great little, and I stress little, projector. Look over at www.projectorcentral.com for a review. It is the cheapest projector on their Highly Recommended list. It doesn't have a zoom lens but setup is easy.
    Greg

3. TimG

TimG Second Unit

The only problem with the LT150 is he might be susceptible to rainbows on a DLP.
    Tim

4. Charles Wan

Charles Wan Auditioning

I am also thinking about LT150. But according to www.projectorcenteral.com, it has only one input,
    an RGB port. What's the cheapest way to connect my DVD
    player to it? My DVD player has S-Video and component
    outputs.
    Another question, my DVD player is not progressive scan.
    How does that affect video quality on LT150?

5. Armando H

Armando H Agent

Charles,
    I believe there is a conversion plug that converts an RGB to a component video plug. I've heard that it has absolutley no effect on picture quality as far as loss or degradation. I'm not sure if the "conversion plug" comes with the LT150. Anybody know?
    I haven't seen the lt150 but have read many, many rave reviews. I'm a little nervous about the reported "rainbow" that some people notice in the lower end DLP projectors such as the LT150. But I've decided that I'm either going to purchase the NEC LT150 or the Sanyo PLC-XW15. I'm leaning towards the LT150 because of so many good things I've been reading about it. If my Dad notices the "rainbow" then I'll sell it on ebay and get the Sanyo. What do you guys think? NEC LT150 or Sanyo PLC-xw15?

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

The LT-150 will accept both component video and RGB via the D-15 connector.
    All you need is a "VGA Breakout cable" which splits off from a D-15 on the projector end, to RCAs on the DVD player end and, as the Brits say, "Bob's your uncle".
    It automatically detects and switches between component and RGB on that input.
    Hope this clarifies for you.
    Why yes, I do own an LT-150.
    The other thing to be cognizant of is fan noise. Especially if you ceiling mount, it's LOUD.
    I have a hushbox on order, which should resolve my issues.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

7. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Why not go to a store and take a look at a DLP and an LCD projector, maybe not the same brands that you are looking at, but it will give you a "feel" for what you are going to see. If you look at any of the "lower" (basically anything under $10k) end DLP's and see the rainbow effect you will see it on the LT150.
    This could save you from buying the LT150 and not liking it and then taking some type of loss on it when you go to sell it.
    Also, in regards to the Sanyo projector, the Boxlight clone of it is supposedly the exact same projector through and through, but is usually a little cheaper (like 5-10% cheaper).
    Andrew
    ------------------

8. Armando H

Armando H Agent

I bought the NEC LT150 for him. Thanks for all your help.

9. RandyL

RandyL Agent

If you have a projector, you'll want a progressive-scan DVD player. S-Video ain't the best anymore!
    Either get a progressive DVD player with component output and buy a converter, or just get a DVD player with VGA outs. The difference is very noticeable.

10. HiHoStevo

HiHoStevo Agent

I have been interested in a projector for years... however, the price/quality issue has always held me back.
    What image size can you get with this LT-150 if you have a 12' throw distance?
    thanks,
    Steve

11. Scott Pultz

Scott Pultz Auditioning

I think that a 12' throw distance will give you a 7.5' wide image.

12. James_T

James_T Stunt Coordinator

As an owner of an LT150, I just wanted to throw in my $.02. The image this projector produces is absolutely fantastic, but when I bought it I was told that a line doubler was an absolute necessity. So I purchased a DVDO IScan pro with it, and I can't tell you if it is required or not because I've only used the projector with it and not without it. [​IMG]
    I suppose you could also get a progressive scan DVD player, but if you want to watch DSS, LD, or anything else thru the projector you'll want the line doubler. Also, I have to agree with the comment on fan noise. I have the projector ceiling-mounted right above my head, and it is very distracting during quiet passages. As for the rainbow effect, yes I do see it but only on scenes with scrolling credits (I've never once noticed it in the middle of a movie). Maybe I'm less sensitive, or maybe people make too much of this problem.
    For image sizes and throw distances try this link (and click on "Projection Calc"):
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/

13. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

From what I hear, the absolute best way to get a great image out of this one is a HTPC. Of course, an Iscan is a much more plug and play solution.

James - ever consider building a hush box for it? Not very difficult and you should be able to cut the noise it makes by half at least.

14. David Hill

David Hill Agent

How does one build a hush box and still allow appropriate cooling? Surely if it's sealed to cut out the noise it will end up over-heating?

Regards,

David

15. James_T

James_T Stunt Coordinator

Kimmo:
    This projector runs pretty hot, and I am wary that any design of my own might have some even slight design flaw that will lead to its demise. But if I were to take my chances, any ideas there?
    I have been considering having one built by these folks:
    http://www.whisperflow.com/
    but they are quite expensive. Still, for the peace of mind of knowing that I won't be damaging my projector with their hushbox, I might just do it eventually.

16. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I'm sure a serious noise reduction can be had with a hush-box even if you need exhaust fans to make sure the projector gets enough cool air. You can place the fan inside the box and add ducts inside the box to further reduce the noise - sort of like Sony did with their VW10 and VW11. Part of why they are so quiet is because the fan is buried inside the machine which has a long intake duct in the front where it sucks in air.
    I haven't actually built a hush-box yet myself though, but I'm doodling on some designs for it. Also considering getting an LT150 and I already know I couldn't stand it on its own, have had some projectors home to try that were about that noisy and it was too distracting.
    Mine will be made out of wood though with sound damping materials on the inside. I'm sure the whisperflow boxes work very well, but as a matter of personal preference I find them highly lacking when it comes to aesthetics.
    I plan to mount mine under my coffee table though and not on the ceiling, and the projector will be placed right-side-up, not inverted.
    But yes, one has to make very sure the projector gets enough cool air to it and that the hot air is removed... I've read that the fans (probably the bearings) self destruct when it gets too hot, which is sort of scary. [​IMG]