1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Best projector for around $1,000?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by IanIanBoBian, Aug 27, 2006.

1. IanIanBoBian

IanIanBoBian Auditioning

I've been doing a little reaserch online, so I know a little about the contrast ratio, lumens, and resoultion stuff, but I'm still having a little trouble sorting out which projector would be the best for the money. I don't want to get too crazy, about the most I would want to spend is $1,500. I'm not sure if I would get HD any time soon, so brightness might be more of a concern the resolution, but obviously it would be nice to have both. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

3. IanIanBoBian

IanIanBoBian Auditioning

Whats the difference between the InFocus 4805, and the InFocus IN72?

4. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

I've heard the IN72 is the "new" version of the 4805.

I was in the same situation as you not too long ago.
    Searching & searching for a entry-level projector. HD wasn't a concern.

I went with a Optoma H27 and am very happy with it. (edit: They say the H27 & the IN72 were very close in picture quality/etc)

Even watching movies during the day with "some" ambient light I can still get a great picture. (I say some because I have dark green mini-blinds that eliminate most of the light, but I have some green curtains that let a little bit of light through)

With a component hook-up & my DVD set to progressive scan I get a picture of 720x480.
    I don't know much about resolutions, but I've seen some screen caps that showed different resolutions & personally I don't see much difference. Ignorance is bliss : )

I've read up on some "upconverting" dvd players but I'm not sure if it would look any better?
    Right now I'm running a $30 Cyberhome DVD player & it looks wonderful.

(ps if you're are interested check costco.com They have the H27 & a 92" screen for probably $850 too your door, $45 less if you are a member)
    (pss costco didn't send me a graywolf screen like they were supposed to, but I did get a 92" manual pulldown. Much better in my opinion as it's made from regular "screen-like" material, not glass-beaded like the graywolfs)

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    The best projector for $1,000 or less is the Infocus IN72. In second place would be the Optoma H27, but it has a HUGE image offset(57%). So forget the H27 if you have a low ceiling. If you want to spend up to $1500, you can get the Panasonic 900, which is a 720p(HD) LCD projector.

6. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

Infocus 4805 or IN72 for sure.

7. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ Extra

I suggest that it is worth every penny to increase your budget by $500 and get the Sanyo PLV-Z4. What you will get for 1K would very limited in value, quality, presentation compared to what the Z4 can do for you.

8. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Limited value, quality and presentation?! With all due respect its obvious you do not know what you are talking about. Besides, if hes gonna put more money into it then just get an Optoma H72 or Infocus IN76 wich will blow the Z4 out of the planet.

9. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

What tends to happen in the world of FP's is that people will always recommend what they own. he big reason for this is because FP's have not rellay entered into the mainstream yet so it is EXRTEMELY difficult to really compare models the proper way. Most people buy from what they see on-line and what people recommend. When you buy speakers or receiver and amps it is much easier to audition these. Basicaly in a nutshell I am saying...."take all of our advice with a grain of salt". I am not saying that none of us know what we are talking about but I would venture to guess that nobody here has actually auditioned a CALLIBRATED Z4, PE900, 4805, IN72, IN76, H27, and H31 in the same place and same day. So if somebody says, get a z4 because the other are poor quality.....don't waste your time listening. Look at facts and what and HOW you will use it. We need more info...
    How far will you be from the screen?
    How big will the screen be?
    What kind of light control do you have?
    Will this be your only display divice or is it strictly for movies?
    How will the FP be mounted?
    Do you have any experience with DLP or LCD?
    What is the color of the walls and ceiling?
    Will hearing the whirrrr from a FP fan irritate you?

There is a lot that goes into this purchase. If you do not have any knowledge in FP's then I would take the above advice and look at www.projectorcentral.com . I would take there reviews with a grain of salt though. They get a lot of money from manufactors so they will really not scrutinize a FP the way it needs to be done. Pretty much the popular models are what I mentioned in my list above. That is not to say that they are the best and there are no others. Do a bit of homework and answer some of my questions then maybe we can offer more useful advice. FWIW I own a 4805 and love it. I have seen the Z4, AE700,900, IN72, 76 and all are wonderful FP's. The 4805 was what worked best for ME and MY situation.

10. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Well said.

11. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ Extra

Well, both Luis and Evan are correct. All internet advice and opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

When someone posts "what FP should I buy for $1K" 60 days after I just went through the same research, I can only offer what I learned. That the market ranges from 1K to 20K and for the $1500 I spent on my Z4, I am thrilled. It met my needs and looks great. Just terrific. I don't know what I'm talking about except that the Z4 performs well, was compared to a $10,000 DLP, has great lens shift and looks great out of the box. And chances are somone with a 1,000 dollare budget wants something easy and proven. There are probably others that do this as well. My 2 cents, nothing more.

12. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Another site to check out is Projectorreviews.com