Best projector for a small screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris*Lev, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Chris*Lev

Chris*Lev Auditioning

I'm in a room that runs 11 x 12 with a 9 foot ceiling, it has a small amount of light which comes in through the cracks in blinds. Inside, I have superb sound, and am now interested in having a projector to go along with it. All I want to cast is a 36" x 48" image to a da-lite da-snap mat. Keeping in mind that I would be watching TV & DVD's what would be the best bet in way of projector for the lowest possible price(400-900)? Also, do you think that I should just skip the projector and go for a flat screen or LCD instead?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get my "mini home theatre" up and running as soon as possible. [​IMG]

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Chris, why do you want such a small screen? Any projector will look great with such a small screen, but it seems pretty silly to me. Do you want LCD or DLP?

3. Chris*Lev

Chris*Lev Auditioning

I was looking for the most cost effective choice... so i was thinking small screen = high brightness = small cash

Really I meant that size screen would SUFFICE thought a larger picture would be better. I would be using this as a permanent setup within the room so I guess I'd be looking for a DLP (but I really have no clue considering how new I am to all this) once again any help would be GREATLY appreciated

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Chris, I would try to find an Infocus X1. Check Google.com, they're still out there, new and refurbished. I have it and it's great. You can get a 68"-81" diagonal widescreen picture with a 11' throw distance with the X1. It also would be great for watching TV, since it has the Faroudja de-interlacer inside.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Please gentlemen: Read the red-lettered posting atop the thread-listing page in Basics, particularly the last sentence. Ask for specific shopping advice in the appropriate hardware-related area; the Basics section is for general discussion at the beginner level only. Thank you.

6. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

Ive seen the Infocus 4805 for $800-900. You wont find a better deal than that. I am projecting a 9' wide screen and thats using low power mode and still is bright enough to delive theater like image. I am using a simple and effective $30 Blackout cloth. Have you seen my screenshot's thread in this forum?
    regards

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You are looking for a 4x3 projector (36" x 48") as per your question. The Infocus 4805 is a native 16x9 projector whereas the Infocus X1 is native 4x3. If you can still find one that may be a good choice for this scenario.

8. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

I recommended the 4805 cause he mentions he wants to watch DVDs also.