Best projector <3k

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MarkBowles, Sep 8, 2004.

1. MarkBowles

MarkBowles Extra

What would you guys say would be the best front projector for 3k or less. I have directv, dvd, hdtv, xbox, pc as sources. I had looked at the sony vpl-hs20 about 6-8 months ago and liked it but things may have changed.

Thanks for the help. You guys are great.

Mark

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

What is your room like?

Also, can you clarify your question? My immediate answer is without a doubt a CRT projector, but usually this is the wrong answer, because when I hear "what's the best projector" my version of that question asks: "what has the best picture, at all costs, for this price." Usually, this is not the question people mean...

3. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

Well, if you are looking to go a digital route...i think that the Benq7800 is under $3k. Others include Sanyo Z2 and Panny 500, or even spend less and get the infocus 4805.

4. MarkBowles

MarkBowles Extra

ChrisWiggles,

The room is 15x28 completely dark with 7' ceilings. I'm looking at projectors under 3000.00.

Thanks

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Low cielings mean a small projector might be preferable. However, I am someone with ceilings about an inch lower than that, and still have a monster CRT that's going there, so it's doable if you're crazy enough. But that's a choice you'll have to explore. Like I said, used CRT in this range will definitely provide a significantly superior picture, but the hidden cost is a big thing that's not super easy to setup (though no display is ever plug n play).

If you want to stick with the ease of digital, the others are good suggestions, but you won't hit the PQ, but it will be a a bit easier to deal with perhaps.

6. MarkBowles

MarkBowles Extra

How are the dimensions of the projected image measured?

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

um.... :b

In linear units, such as inches, centimeters, or their more convenient relatives for larger screens, such as feet or meters. [​IMG]

The "standard" way was usually diagonally on TVs, but it's far more convenient and regular to state your screen size as a width (usually in inches or feet unfortunately, stupid english system, BAH!), since aspect ratios change all around and your width is the most common measurement in the FP world.

8. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    My room is slightly smaller and I found the 4805 to be a good fit.