What's new

best progressive scan player selection - Advice needed! (1 Viewer)

WilliamB

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyine.
Well, the time has come and the wife has approved funds for a progressive scan unit !!!! VERY COOL!! So, advice is needed as to selection. This unit will plug into an ISF calibrated Toshiba TW56x81. Most of my DVD's are anamorphic.
I have seen many good things said about the Denon as well as units with the Silicon Image chipset. Also saw a favorable report on the Toshiba SD3750. A budge player doesnt interest me and I don't want to break the bany BUT- would rather pay a bit more for a superior unit as the wife will not allow an upgrade for 2 years.
So, Please advise! Many thanks in advance
------------------
The way of the Monkey is to play the Fool. While you laugh at his antics, he bites you from behind. Unmask his ego and you uncover a coward, disguised as a Monkey

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
There are plenty of good choices available.
If you get an opportunity, read the review from "Secrets" on DVD shootout #2.
I have the Denon 2800 and love it....others are very sensitive to the chroma bug, which seems to be eliminated from the new Denon 4800...as well as the addition of DVD-Audio and Burr Brown DACs. It also has the scaling ability that several Panasonic owners are happy with...but some problems were reported in a review of the unit a couple of weeks ago. If most of your titles are anamorphic, this won't affect you. Apparently, the bass management of the 4800 is pretty decent...more than what you get with some of the pioneering DVD-A decks.
The Denon will cost you just over a grand.
The Panasonic RP-91 is a great unit, also with DVD-A (no bass management)....a better scaling system (non-anamorphic titles), great picture, and NO chroma bug.
The new Kenwoods are available (mega changers) with the Faroudja chips. I've heard differing opinions on these and not a lot of professional reviews available yet. Also, to take complete advantage of these, you need to add the entertainment hub to the system.
Otherwise, check the Secrets article....and go from there.
Jeremy

Sean-D

Agent
The only problem with the loaded Denon DVM-4800 5-Disc changer is that it uses the progressive scan chipset from Genesis, the DVD-2800 use the chipset from Silicon Image.(Sil-503)(Best Progressive Chip Available). If the DVD performance is very a important factor, you may want to consider something else. At $1200 it's hard to see going with that one. I also think that all the Toshiba progressive players use the Genesis solution. The Kenwood 5-Disc changer DV-5700 uses the Sage/Faroudja progressive chipset and is an very good performer.Priced at $1500 this player is only an average value to me. So for now, either wait for a 5+ disc progressive changer with the best de-interlacers for under a $1000, or buy a single disc progressive player now.(recommended)
Just my $.02
------------------
Sean-D.
"If at first you don't succeed...,remove all evidence that you ever tried."

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The thing that has slowed me down from getting a progressive scan player is that if you do that, your nice ISF calibration is so much money just wasted. Everything has to be redone. Pisses me off, but that's life in HT.
frown.gif

------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

WilliamB

Stunt Coordinator
No Kidding! Can you elaborate on why you must recalibrate when moving to prog. scan?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks