What's new

Best Progressive Scan DVD Player????? (1 Viewer)

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
I am looking into getting a progressive scan DVD player very soon to go along with my new Mits 46807.
What is the general consensus as to which is the best one out there at a reasonable price???
I am looking at the JVC XV-FA70BK, Panasonic RP-91, Denon 2800, Mitsubishi 6020, and now am open to other models if there are some better.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
------------------
Home Theater Page
[Edited last by StevenH on November 10, 2001 at 06:27 PM]

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I have an rp91 and am very pleased with it.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
most everyone here will say RP91, and i'd have to agree. mine arrives next week! (and i'm a poor college kid!) :)
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
The more I look around, the more I like the JVC model. But still, the Denon keeps grabbing me.....but so does the price of it.
I am going to go and try out each of them and see which one I like better. The Mitsubishi unit isn't talked about much anywhere......is it available yet?
------------------
Home Theater Page

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I have a JVC 723 and am very happy with the unit. Delivers a very beautiful film like picture from anamorphic DVD's. The unit will also re-format at 4 x 3 letterbox DVD to 16 x 9, increasing the picture quality. Good luck.

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
Well after some more looking around, and some talking to some knowledgable people.....I think the Panasonic RP-91 is the front runner right now.
I am going to go tomorrow and look around and play with some of them to see which one I like.
------------------
Home Theater Page

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
The Panasonic is still the front runner, after everything I have read it seems to be the best all around player.
I didn't get a chance to try it out , the store was closed for a meeting.
But I can get it online for $447 shipping included.......is that a good price?
------------------
Home Theater Page

David Judah

Screenwriter
I went through the same thing last month, Steven, and I ended up with the RP91 to go with my Mits 55" based on Obi's and others recommendations.
I have been very pleased with its performance;it is so configurable for the varying quality of tranfers we find on DVDs. Plus there are alot of owners here that can help with set-up. $447 is a good price.
Good Luck,
DJ
[Edited last by David Judah on November 13, 2001 at 05:05 PM]

jacek p

Agent
sounds like panasonic users are really active here. but it is only a part of the story. toshiba makes fine progressive models, too. and they might have more value. i picked up my sd3750 for 169+shipping.
Cheers,
------------------
jacek

JaimeC

Grip
Gentleman,
I also am looking for a good DVD player. I am also deciding between the Panasonic RP91K. It plays DVD,'s, CD's, CD-RW's, and MP3 CD's. I also found the Pioneer DV-C36, which has progressive scan but has the 5-disc CD changer. It plays CD, video CD, and CD-R playback but NO M.P.'s. It costs $500.
Can anyone help me by telling me what they think about these two players and which the best for playing movies and music. I like the fact that the Pioneer has the 5-disc carousel.
Thanks.
JaimeC

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Here's another vote for the RP-91, excellent picture quality and IMO the scaling features of the RP-91 beat the aspect ratio adjustments of the JVCs.
------------------
Dan

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
Philips has a new model that has the "DCDi" by FAROUDJA. Retails at $499. I'm not sure, but I think it does the 3:2 pulldown. I need to look into it.
------------------
EVELIO The name brand for fine cigars!!

JenaroM

Stunt Coordinator
What about the Sony DVP-S9000ES? How does it compare to the others?
A low priced Sony progressive scan player is DVP-NS700P. I don't own either of these players. Anybody?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks