What's new

Best progressive Scan DVD player for under 500 ? (1 Viewer)

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Could you guys give me some advice of the best progressive scan DVD player for under 500 bucks? I'm doing some upgrading and I have a few posts here and there on the board.

thanks in advance for all your help/advice!

Jim

PaulKH

Second Unit
By popularity on here it's the Panasonic RP91, which you might still be able to find online for under $500.

Some (like me) like the Toshiba 3750, 4700, or 5700 players. They range from under $200 to $300.

Ike

Screenwriter
Do Toshiba's have a lot of problems, or do I just see the bad things on the forum? I've never owned one, and see them recommended a lot, but I always here, "My Toshiba can't play..." Is that older models, or what?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jim, it seems often times that discussions of progressive-scan players on this site begin and end with the Panasonic DVD-RP91, regardless of price. To many here, the 'RP91 gives the best progressive-scan picture. Some have reported a bug with the picture being shifted to one side, and there has been some talk about a fix for it. Search the site for more info. Still, the majority of 'RP91 owners seem to be very happy with the player.

Note that the 'RP91 (and the aforementioned Toshiba '4700 and '5700) offer DVD-Audio playback, which is a great bonus. I have the Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player (interlaced output only), which was the predecessor to the 'RP91, and DVD-Audio is a definite improvement over CD. I have been very happy with the 'A10, so if the 'RP91 is in any way similar in quality, I think it would be a good choice.

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Keith.. Due to all the positive feedback and researching the archives i'm definetly going to get this one you also suggest. Seems unbeatable for the price.

thanks again!

Jim

rin

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,

the Panasonic is certainly the player to beat at around $500 but if price is an issue, you should at least take a look at the JVC 723/721.

I have had the 723(the 723 is gold and the 721 is black) for almost a year now and have been very happy with it. All around it is a very good player and for the money(I've seen it for as little as $199) you can't beat it.

In addition to having an excellent progressive picture and DVD-audio capability, it will also re-scale properly encoded 4:3 letterbox DVD's for widescreen displays. As far as I know the RP91 is the only other player to have this feature.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rin, the JVC players were discontinued awhile back, so they may be very difficult to track down these days. At $199, they are a bargain, but if one can spend $500, the 'RP91 would be the way to go from an audio and build-quality standpoint over current or past JVC models. Just my $0.02.

Rand

Supporting Actor
A quick question. Does the Panasonic RA60 use the same Farjouda chipset as the RP56? Thanks.

LewisD

Grip
From what I've heard, the JVC XV-D723GD has bass management for DVD-Audio...which the Panny R91 doesn't, correct? That may be incentive enough to pick up the 723 at $199...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks