Best progressive scan DVD player for Sony 36XBR450?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan Mack, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

If anyone with a Sony 36XBR450 can answer this, it would be appreciated.
    So far, I am considering the following:
    Sony DVP-NS700P
    Panasonic DVD-RP56
    JVC XV-S60BK
    I don't mind spending more if I have to. DVD-Audio is not important to me, but MP3 capability would be nice.
    I have a good interlaced player right now (Panasonic DVD-RV31), and would like something that is as good or better than this.
    Thanks in advance for any responses!

2. MarshawnM

MarshawnM Stunt Coordinator

Allan I have the same set and I have the Denon 2800 DVD player. I think in terms of picture quality this is one of the best players you can buy in the price range. It plays CDR,CDRW,MP3 anything audio format can be played on my computers CD (which isn't a dvd player) player I can play on the 2800. Hope this helps. Widescreenreivew did a killer review of this piece about two months ago check it out.
    -Marshawn

3. Allan Mack

Thanks, Marshawn. Is the 'chroma bug' very evident in the 2800? Or is this something I shouldn't worry about?

4. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

i have a rp56 for sale if you decide to go that route.

5. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

..and I'll take the 'RV31 off your hands if you're ready to sell! (Allan Mack, I sent you a private message on this subject)
    -Brett.

6. Allan Mack

7. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"Is the 'chroma bug' very evident in the 2800? Or is this something I shouldn't worry about?"
    IMO, no, it's not very evident...in fact, I've never seen it on mine. But it is there and some folks' eyes are very sensitive to it. You may never be able to see it on an XBR, since it is relatively small and direct view. If I were you, I would audition a unit that has the chroma bug on your TV....i.e. the Sony, and see how it affects you.
    The Denon 2800 is at least double the cost of the other units you have on your list, so it may be out of your budget. It's MSRP is $799, but you can grab it online for about six and a half.
    Jeremy

8. Allan Mack

Thanks, Jeremy. I don't mind spending more, if necessary. I just don't want to pay Camelot prices!

9. MarshawnM

MarshawnM Stunt Coordinator

The chroma bug is not very noticeable at all. In fact, I had to go looking for it once I read about it. True, the Denon is a little pricey, but as for picture quality, I think only the most expensive players out do the Denon 2800 (those costing at least $1000). If you can, look at that review on WidescreenReview, then go out look at it. Review a few DVD’s (i.e. Toy Story, Sleepy Hallow great blacks on that DVD, Final Fantasy one of the best looking DVD to date bar none including Phantom Menace). I think you will really enjoy the Denon, but it is worth a look at least. Also, my buddy just purchased one for $550 at world-exchange.com, they are not authorized Denon dealers, so that may be an issue for you.
    -Marshawn

10. Jamie Shimizu

Jamie Shimizu Auditioning

Allan,
    Just bought a 36XBR450, and have been looking for a progressive scan player for it. Tried out the Sony DVP-NS700P, Panasonic DVD-RP56, and the JVC XV-S70BK (which I believe is the same as the 60BK except it has a DTS decoder).
    I first bought the JVC, which had some cool features, but wasn't impressed with the picture. I don't believe the progressive scan was working correctly because you could still use the CRC button on the TV to switch between interlaced and progressive mode (on both the Sony and panasonic players, the crc switch on the TV was disabled when the players were on progressive mode), and I didn't notice a difference in the picture when switching between progressive and interlaced. One cool feature on the JVC was it automatically switches the TV to 16:9 enhanced mode when you play a DVD (I was really surprised that you have to switch the TV manually to 16:9 using Sony's own DVD player with there TV, Panasonic is manual also)
    Next I bought the Sony DVP-NS700P. Noticed a BIG difference between Progressive and Interlaced mode. Colors were much more saturated, and Contrast was better.
    After reading a review of the Panasonic DVD-RP56 http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-2-8-2001.html I decided to get one and do a side by side comparison with the Sony. Did a lot of switching back and forth between the two units.
    Overall, even though the colors looked a little more saturated on the Sony, the picture on the Panasonic looked a little better. The panasonic's picture was noticeably sharper, and some banding that was noticeable on the Sony was not apparent on the Panasonic (No chroma bug on the panny either). The remote on the Sony was much better (glow buttons, better layout) - Panasonics remote is real basic and feels cheap.
    So after all that I decided to keep the Panasonic because I liked the picture quality a little better (although they were both very good), and it was $100 cheaper.
    I'm sure Models like the Denon2800 or the Panasonic 91K have a much better picture, but I think in the next few months we are going to see a lot of DVD Audio/SACD all in one players, so I bought the cheap one now, and will spend money on a better player after Christmas.
    Hope this helps!
    Jamie

11. Allan Mack

Thanks for the detailed response, Jamie. Yes, it did help! I'm leaning towards the RP56, only because I'm already very satisfied with my RV31. I wanted a progressive scan player so that I could move the RV31 to my bedroom to be used as an MP3 player and as a backup DVD player in case the progressive scan player needs repair.

12. Dan Hopkinson

I am glad that this discussion is up. I am starting to get very confused by some of the features on the 36XBR450. I didn't realize that the set locked out all of the other DRC modes when it was fed a progressive signal (can anyone else confirm this?). I was toying around with the DRC settings tonight, but I could not notice any changes flipping through them. Perhaps I wasn't watching a movie with enough fidelity to see a difference. Anyway, from all that I have read, and seen in the store, I think that the Panasonic player is the way to go. Plus it isn't that silver color. Just my 2 cents.

13. Allan Mack

Dan, the 36XBR450 does indeed lock out the DRC when fed a progressive signal from a progressive scan DVD player.
    For tips on seeing differences between the DRC modes with an interlaced DVD player, see my earlier post here . I found Toy Story 1 to be quite helpful...

14. Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding Second Unit

Jay
    I've tried three different progressive scan players[JVC, Sony, & Toshiba] with my XBR450. In each case, the progressive scan video looked worse than the interlaced video with DRC enabled. I think Sony's implementation of 3:2 pulldown along with DRC beats any progressive scan picture I've seen.

15. Dan Hopkinson

Allan,
    You can lock out the progressive output on the RP56, right? I figure that I might as well get one that is capable, even if I don't decide to use the progressive feature on this TV. I like to have all of the bells and whistles to play with anyway. Plus, the RP56 really isn't that expensive a unit. Thanks for the input.

16. Allan Mack

Dan, I'm not sure what you mean, but I know you can switch to interlaced output on the RP56 in case you don't want to use the progressive outputs for some reason.
    Jay, I know what you mean. I'm satisfied with the output of my interlaced player (Pannny RV31) on my 36" XBR450, but I want to move the RV31 to the bedroom. With the RP56, I can just switch back and forth between interlace and progressive if I want, and the RP56 is not that much more expensive than another RV31. I just thought I'd give a progressive scan DVD player another chance; the RP91 I bought a few months ago combed way too much for my taste.
    I still haven't decided what to do yet, though. I just might pick up the Panny RV21 at Costco; it's a slightly stripped down version of the RV31 and quite inexpensive. The only difference is no jog dial on the front panel, but I never used that on the RV31 anyway...

17. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Jaimie's JVC may have been defective, or he may not have known how to put it into progressive mode.
    I have the 7 disc changer version of the JVC, it will play all formats you want plus it will play PAL dvds (but won't play PAL in progressive mode).
    JVC does not have the chroma bug, has auto scaling for properly flagged non-anamorphic discs. Mine produces rich colors and excellent black levels, at least as good or better than my Panasonic A-320. There are several sets of picture adjustments, 2 of which are user customizable. Adjustable parameters include contrast, brightness, gamma, color, tint, and Y-Delay. With avia and a little effort you can get any kind of picture you want out of one of these, so it's kinda silly to say it produces washed out colors or poor blacks compared to some other brand.
    I have mine connected to a Sony KP53HW40 widescreen HD-ready rptv, and when I put the player into progressive mode, the DRC controls on the tv do not work, so either Jaimie got a defective unit, or he didn't mash and hold down the "VFP" button on the remote until the progressive scan indicator light to the left of the display came on. This light is red when the pulldown is in video mode, and green when doing pulldown for film based material. The shift from progressive to interlaced output can be done on the fly.
    There are 4 pulldown settings-Film, Video 1, Video 2, Auto, and Smart.
    Film and the 2 video modes are self explanatory. Auto relies on disc flagging to shift from video to film mode, not reliable as many discs aren't flagged properly. Smart lets the player decide and has worked very well for me. I can see the progressive indicator light change color during special features sections that consist of taped interviews interspersed with film clips.
    The guys that spotted the chroma bug and reported on it in the first place have given the JVC pretty good reviews, and it's fairly cheap.
    My Panny A-320, which was a highly recommended flagship non-progressive model started refusing to read some newly purchased discs that played fine on a humble PS-2. It was about a year old at the time. During it's year of service it produced an excellent picture.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

18. Peter Rohlfs

Peter Rohlfs Stunt Coordinator

I have the 32 inch xbr450 and the JVC 75 which is the gold version of the 70.
    I configured the set using Video Essentials. I also went into the service menu and got the picture sive as good as possible.
    I noticed that I was getting a distortion at the top of full frame progressive. I put back in VE. When interlaced the boxes from the test signal were perfect. I switched to progreassive and there was a bend in the top approx 1/4 inch.
    Not a problem when in anamorphic. But I did notice the anamorphic does cut off the picture higher. Maybe there is an independent way to fix this in the service menu but I haven't been able to find it.
    So I only use progressive for lbx (anamorphic or non) discs.
    As I stated in a related post, the progressive is only better when the JVC's auto progressive mode sets the progressive light to green. Then the improvement is slight.
    I'm happy with the player overall. The zoom mode is great.
    And I like the DVD-A capability. Shame there isn't more software, especially 60s music.
    Jamie,
    I think you had a defective player or the tv setting on the player wasn't configured progressive.
    The auto anamorphic only works when non progressive.
    Peter