Best Progressive DVD under $200??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Parker, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

hi guys,
    I just bought a 30" 16:9 HDTV and I already have an interlaced dvd player but my tv just accept 1080i or 480p so now I am looking for a progressive scan dvd player, and I dont know much about dvd players, could you guys recommend any dvd player under $200? it would be a great help. Thank all of you.

features I am looking for:
    progressive scan
    single DVD
    vcd/cd/cd-r-w/mp3
    16:9, 4:3 picture option

2. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

Sony NS715P-199.99
    Toshiba SD-3780-169.99
    Panasonic RP62-179.99

They all will get the job done and are good entry level progressive scan dvd players. My recommendation is not to skimp out on the component video cables, you should expect to pay 50 dollars for a good set.

3. Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins Stunt Coordinator

While I agree with the above recommendations ( I recently got the RP62 and love it!), I completely disagree with spending more than you have to on component cables. I use AR basic component cables, and in side by side comparison with a buddy's $100 set(silver serpent), there was not ANY difference. AR goes for about $25 for 6' set.
    Chris

4. Kevin Parker

thank you very much guys. one more question though, how are JVC's DVD players?

5. Eddie_G

Eddie_G Auditioning

I purchased the Toshiba SD-3805 along with my TV this past week and am very happy with it so far. $180+tax at AbtElectronics in the North Chicago suburbs.. amazing store and they will beat anyone's price!

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide on.

-Eddie

6. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I think they are good, it seems most of new big name DVD players function very well.

7. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

I'm suprised no one here recommended the JVC 500BK or 502SL (same players, different colors). I got one for only $109 off of uBid (plus the requisite $20 exhorbitant uBid S&H fee) and I absoluetly LOVE it!

The layer changes are lightning fast compared to my Pioneer Elite DV-37, and the JVC actually buffers the digital audio stream somehow so when there is a layer change, the receiver just keeps continuously receiving whatever signal there was (DTS, Dolby 5.1, Dolby 2.0, etc.), unlike the Pioneer which interrupts the digital stream (you can see the dolby lights briefly turn off and then on on the receiver).

It also has scaling for non 16:9 material. This is both good and bad. The good: its handling of non 16:9 letterboxed material is excellent. The bad: the scaling of 4:3 material (with side black bars) adds some aditional blockiness and jagged diagonals to the picture. Also, it doesn't provide an override for improperly flagged discs (so a disc that's letterboxed in a 4:3 frame may end up severely windowboxed on all four sides), and you must go into the setup menus and disable scaling to get around it.

Back to the good news: NO CHROMA BUG! None whatsoever. Also, you can easily switch between progressive scan and interlaced via the remote. Ringing is very low and Y/C delay is DEAD ON. Finally, I really like the mp3 on-screen navigation, and despite what the manual says, the player will pass digital audio when playing mp3 files.

The JVC will also do a slide show with any CD-R full of .jpg files, but I hear it takes forever for them to load if they're taller than 480 pixels (I guess it takes awhile to scale them). I haven't tried this feature yet.

A few more bits of bad news: It's a flag reading player when it comes to automatically deciding film or video mode. Improperly flagged stuff will comb like crazy. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to manually set video or film mode (not too many clicks through the setup menus). Also, this player does not have a motion adaptive video mode, so video mode stuff looks pretty soft. This is the one place where my Elite kicks JVC's butt (that and audio). But being that the JVC cost 1/5th of what I paid for my DV-37, and how much better it does most things, I'd say it's a great buy!!

-Lyle J.P.

8. Kevin Parker

thank you very much guys, after little research online and your recommendations I came across following dvd players
    1. Toshiba SD4700
    2. panasonic RP62
    3. JVC 502SL
    4. Pioneer DV444

most probably I will buy one of them so far i am biased to toshiba and jvc. I also would like to hear your recommendations, so feel free to drop a line or two.
    thanx a lot guys.

9. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I just bought a Panasonic RP62 to go with a new Toshiba 36" 4:3 direct view for my family's beach house. I picked the Panasonic, because it is the only DVD player in this price range that is made in Japan. I also bought a set of Tributaries Delta component video cables ($50 1m, $60 2m) to connect them. I've had cheap Monster, Radio Shack, and Acoustic Research cables break on me or go bad, and I treat my gear very gingerly. With cables, as with everything, you generally get what you pay for.

10. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Just to give you some feedback, I purchased the Sony NS715P and was not satisfied at all with the picture quality. I took it back and picked up the Panasonic RP62, and really like this player.
    Best Buy has the Panasonic RP62 on sale for $169. [​IMG]

11. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

My vote is for the Toshiba 4700. I love mine!