What's new

Best program to back up hard drive? (1 Viewer)

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I was just using Drive Image 2002 to back up 18 gigs of my 40 gig hard drive to CDR's and it was going well until disc 3, I got an "Error writing to image file". When I clicked on OK, the program aborted and the computer rebooted.

I think that pretty much means I'm done with Drive Image 2002. I could just image that happening on the last disc.

Anyway, can anyone recommend any other drive imaging software?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I think what I'm going to do is buy another hard drive and just do a drive to drive backup. This way I can continue using Drive Image (assuming I don't have further problems) and don't have to bother wasting time and CDR's.

Jeff

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
consider using rewriteables for backups. screwups during burning don't hurt so bad then. myself, since i've got the software on disks, i generally just backup my data files and various patches and updates provided they were downloaded as files to be executed later.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Backing up to a spare HD is the best way really. If you can, it's worth investing a little cash in one of those removable HD bays. You can then load the spare HD only when needed and keep it well away from the source machine.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Backing up to a spare HD is probably the best method for a notebook. Most notebooks with a swappable drive bay already have a removeable hard drive option readily available. If anything goes wrong with the main drive, just swap it with the backup drive!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I use Drive Image for Win XP and a second hard drive. It has saved me more than once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks