Best Program for making web pages?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by RudyN, May 3, 2003.

1. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    What's the best program to design web pages? I've used Hot Dog Pro but always had problems with the program freezing. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Rudy

2. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

TextPad. [​IMG]

Seriously though, I have tried Visual Studio, Dreamweaver, and HotDog Pro and I liked Dreamweaver the best. I still do not like wysiwyg editors because they trash the HTML tags.

If you are looking to do a basic web page then I highly recommend digging into the html basics. It will save you hours in the long run.

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I'll second notepad, you can do more and go farther when you understand what's going on.

aside from that self-done code tends to be more compact than wysiwyg output.

4. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

This was asked a little while ago, and then like now I will say...

Notepad. [​IMG] Of course nice easy to use WYSIWYG programs are Cool Pages and Dreamweaver.

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Another option is HomeSite. It's Notepad on steriods in that it is still straight HTML as though you would have coded it in a straight text editor, except that it has a lot of toolbar buttons and functions to let you build the skeleton of your page. You still have to do the hard coding and it does what it can to enforce the HTML standard. Don't remember exactly how to make a table? HomeSite will do the tag structure.

I know that HomeSite is related in some way to DreamWeaver, since they're both released by Macromedia, but I'm not exactly sure how. I think that HomeSite might be a subset for DW.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Though everyone seems to hate it I use Frontpage since it came with Office XP. It can be buggy and just plain dumb but for basic stuff it's an option.

7. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    I used to use Notepad back when I knew what I was doing. Now there seems to be so many options for designing pages. I know I have a HTML book in my room somewhere. Looks like I need to find it. Thanks for all the help.

Rudy

8. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

check out www.builder.com for html coding help and techniques, there's all sorts of examples for HTML DHTML and javascript.

9. Mike Sogge

Mike Sogge Stunt Coordinator

Dreamweaver is great for doing both WYSIWYG and hand-coding simultaneously. It's also handy for things such as CSS, PHP, and its built-in references.

10. Patrick Cate

Patrick Cate Stunt Coordinator

I personally use Homesite, since I like to hand code my web sites. The professional benchmark is pretty much Dreamweaver though (particually among WYSIWYG editors), but it ain't cheap.

11. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

12. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for a simple text editor like Notepad. More control, and you understand what's going on. Use HTML for structure and CSS for presentation.

Browse the comp.infosystems.www.authoring.* newsgroups for more.

Try my HTML tutorial.

13. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Homesite, notepad is good for when you are learning. But if you want to hand code use Homesite (IMHO).

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    As I said in a previous thread:

15. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    I suppose people don't really meant "notepad" per se, but the concept of a text editor.

A very nice freeware editor with syntax highlighting is available here: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/

-Christian

16. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

CoffeeCup HTML editor is good too. I also like Macromedia's Dreamweaver for WYSIWYG editing.

17. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I'm a complete Newbie when it came to making a web page, and I used a simple template and followed onscreen directions to make my website. Typing commands was very time consuming and involved lots of trouble shooting for me.

I used Microsoft Frontpage 4.0 which came with Office 2000 Premium. It made simple web design extremely easy to create/navigate, and publish to the free angelfire server.

My site

18. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

For any kind of code editing I use a program called cEdit, it's more of a developer tool than strictly an HTML tool, but it does all the basic stuff like line numbering, macros, code highlighting, etc.

For building bigger sites I use Dreamweaver, despite the fact that it's a WYSIWYG editor it doesn't trash the code like some editors do, you can work on both the code and page at the same time with a split view, and has lots of tools built in that a lot of web designers forget about (like checking for dead links), it can be as helpful as you want it to be (self checking code) or turn it all off, etc. I've looked at all the big guys and I don't like most of them for various reasons. Plus I can let other people edit page content in the WYSIWYG side of things and not worry about them screwing up formating/style, etc.

Andrew

19. KenE

KenE Extra

vi

20. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Actually the cheapest (and in my opinion best) alternative to Notepad is Textpad.

http://www.textpad.com

I bought mine (£20) but it's acutally shareware.

They do syntax for a LOT of different languages (PHP, C++, Javascript, etc.) that you can easily use and have a lot of customisation inherent in the package.

I'm fairly sure it even has facilities to run Sun's Java compiler from inside the shell.