Best print version of LOTR?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Lee, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

Since I re-acquainted myself with the trilogy using my uncle's half-falling-apart paperback copies, I figured I ought to invest in a proper set for myself, but especially with the release of the film, the number and variety of different editions on the bookshelves seems to have multiplied tenfold. I'm thoroughly confused. I'd prefer to invest in a good, hardcover edition of the trilogy in separate volumes if possible, though I've seen some decent versions in a combined form. Someone asked this question over on DVD Talk Forum, but I thought I'd pose the question to the HTF'ers (my preferred lurking spot). Opinions? (BTW, I've seen auctions for some of those limited-edition, super-pricey editions -- anyone have any experience with these? Worth the investment or not?)

2. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I saw the movie on Wednesday, and had never read the books. I ran out to Walmart right away and picked up the first one in the series.

On the front cover there's a greenish hue and shows all of them walking across the mountain pass. It is called "The Lord of the Rings Part one The Fellowship of the Ring" and written by JRR Tolkien. The publisher is Harper Collins and it has 535 pages. It's a soft cover though, so I don't know if you'd like it.

So far it is a good book.

3. Aaron Schmitt

Aaron Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I own this in four different versions, and this one is my favorite as a collector's item

5. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I own the set that Aaron mentioned, I purchased mine from Amazon a while ago and i'm happy with it. If your going to purchase online, Amazon has a better price than Barnes & Noble for this particular set. But you might find a better price at a B&M store I don't know.

6. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I like having the entire book (it really is one book rather than three) in one hardcover binding. This is the version I finally settled on (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0395595118). The illustrations are by Alan Lee who also advised on the film but the book came out far in advance of the film so it doesn't have any movie artwork (which is how I prefer it). It's a bit heavy sitting on your lap but not too bad.

7. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I'm getting this edition for Christmas, and will start it in the New Year. I wanted all three books in one volume, and thought that the hardback would last longer than the paperback.
    I saw the film yesterday and loved it. It's been about 15 years since I read the book, so I'm looking forward to it.
    We'll be discussing it on my book forum if anyone's interested.