What's new

Best Prices on Kenwood Sovereign (1 Viewer)

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
I've been looking at these recievers and the Kenwood Sovereign 5700 looks like just what I need. Santa and work have been good this fall so I may just go for it. I know Crutchfield has it but there has to be a better price out there. So where is it????

Thanks!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, Kenwood restricts its distribution of the Sovereign product line, so I think Crutchfield and brick-and-mortar stores are your only options. Crutchfield is totally inflexible with price, so brick-and-mortar stores are likely your best bet, as you may be able to talk them down in price some.
Www.onecall.com lists Sovereign products, including the VR-5700, at good prices, but the web site says "Retail Sale Only". This most likely means that they will only sell these items through their Huppin's store in Washington state. OneCall does the same thing with Marantz and Pioneer Elite gear, which is not typically sold by mail through authorized dealers.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
There's a great store in Southern California called the "Kenwood outlet store" They usually have Kenwood receivers for up to 50% off.

When I lived in Ca. I loved to go there and browse.

Try calling 714 555 1212 or 213 555 1212 and ask for the number for the Kenwood outlet store, I don't think they have a website, but I will keep searching and see what I can come up with!

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
One option I am considering is going to one of the Crutchfield outlets. My cousin lives in Harrisonburg VA and we may just take a trip and visit him. I do know they have outlet sales where you actually can get some pretty good deals. With a 3 year warranty, I would be willing to take a chance on an "open box" item.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Just read a review on the Kenwood Sovereign AV5700 in the new edition of Home Theatre. Basically he say's, " The VR-5700 does nothing poorly and most everything well, but it does nothing remarkable..." On top of that to get DTS ES or Dolby EX you have to add another amp because 2 of the 7 channels are for Zone B output.

Kevin

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Just a note to the above post about the Kenwood outlet stores. I have one of those close to me. They do have good prices, but they usually don't carry much current model year stuff. Most of what they have is B stock and refurbished stuff, so the Sovereign units won't show up in their stock until next year sometime.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Mike, The Kenwood outlet store in Ca. was just starting to get the refurbished 5700's in stock for around $800.

Mostly they had the 4000 line, like the 4700 for $600, I believe. But I don't know if they ship or not, I don't have my Ca. phone book anymore or I'd give 'em a call.

Dave Gates

Agent
I ordered my VR-5700 from one of the two Detroit area Kenwood dealers that carry the Sovereign line. I also ordered the DV-5900M, so I was able to work out a slight deal for the two pieces.

VR-5700 $1425

DV-5900M $1125

iweiss

Grip
I would not put too much faith in the Guide to Home Theater review. There were many factual errors, especially regarding the number of amplifiers contained in the unit. I even sent an e-mail to Kenwood suggesting they file a response with the publication.

Dedrick

Agent
hey guys santa just delivered me the wonderful 5700 around 2 weeks ago

i purchased it from onecall for 1250.00,

ask for patrick there, he is the best!!!

and they will ship "retail sale only" items

all i did was call them up and say i want the 5700 and the atlantic tech system 350, they quoted me the price and i had it in 3 or 4 days

what a great receiver, i have only 2 beefs with it:

1) no back ex/es amps, luckily i had a old receiver laying around, which works just fine IMHO, being how little material is sent back there

2)the remote takes some getting used to, for instance when you pick it up to use it the first button press brings it out of sleep mode, the second button press will do the command, this is really bothersome

this is my first THX EX/DTS ES receiver, i have a few question's for anyone:

all DTS-ES movies have flags that turn on processing auto., so DTS is taken care of, thank God

but i have just found out that no Dolby EX dvd's have flags, when you press the THX button on my 5700 you get these 4 options:

THX EX on

THX EX auto

THX on

THX off

i am assuming since the auto mode won't pick up the back surround info that i put the the receiver on the "THX EX on" mode, i think this is basically what the manual says to do

is this the correct setting(THX EX on)to use on regular dolby 5.1's, to matrix them??

and finally i have noticed that i kinda like the sound better with the THX mode turned off, when turning on either of the THX EX modes is this applying THX's processing

i'm guessing it is??

basically can i get dolby EX without THX's processing

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
I suspected that's how One Call would work. Otherwise, they wouldn't have the items listed on their website when the lions share of their business is phone or web orders. What did they charge for shipping?

I wish I could answer your questions on it but please keep posting on your experiences with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks