Best price/source for Symetrix 551 parametric?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Gilvey, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,

I don't have an answer for you, but did want to ask if you were not considering the BFD? You can get the new model from Musician's Friend for $129. I have one on order but don't know exactly when to expect it!

Brian

2. I hear that Behringer makes a production line in groups...not continuously. The BRD was off production for a while, and I have hear from a few little birdies that shippments on the new run will start arriving in january.

I was able to buy a BFD a week ago. There is a place here in Irvine, CA that still has stock of the DSP1124P (new model). They will price match to $129...you won't find lower. If you want to try and order from them, let me know and I will see if I can hook you up with theinfo.

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Jack

I have 2 of these I bought in a buying frenzy. Then picked up a Behringer for prototyping. The Symetrix are a TOTAL pain to use. The only way I been able to get accurate settings with the 551 is with the CLIO unit as a RTA to verify the settings. Why? Well the 'taper' of the pots on the 551 are squirley. So a tiny tiny turn of the dial can make a huge change in the setting. As a result it's virtually impossible to get an accurate setting at a given frequency/and or bandwidth without having test instruments.

The Behringer is a breeze in comparison, and the fact that it can store different settings is a delight for making comparsions.

4. PeteG

PeteG Agent

Thomas- Thanks for the Info on the Symetrix,

I was going to start looking around for another EQ,

but I'll just wait for my order to be filled with

the behringer.

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Jack

Currently I have the 551 on the big IB and the Behringer on the Mini-Me IB. To my ears there is no difference between them.

I did set up the 551 with real LFE infrasonic boost for the big IB. But I hear a 'pumping' characteristic to the sound when it's EQ'ed that low. I'm not sure what causing it, but it stops when a more 'normal' EQ setting is used.

When Jon was last here we EQ'ed both with 551. But I use the Mini-Me room for sub testing so the EQ setting are always changing. The digital readout on the Behringer make changing out subs a piece of cake. With the 551 it's a major hassle.

Pete

If you want to play with a 551 just let me know. There's an unused one just sitting in the front bedroom. You're welcome to borrow it anytime.

7. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

I think the difficulty comment regarding the Symetrix 551 requiring an sound analysis system for proper setup is justifiable. Indeed, a very small touch of the control knob greatly shifts the center frequency. If you have ever adjusted the screen controls of a display, that is the type of touchiness to be expected. It would have very difficult without using ETF5. With an analysis program and mic the setup is trivial.

If you do use a Symetrix, it would be good idea to hot melt glue gun the controls after making the adjustments. That will help prevent an accidental change of settings and subsequent need for recalibration.

8. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Is it safe to assume that the Rane PE-17 suffers from the same ease of adjustment issues?

9. PeteG

PeteG Agent

FYI- Got my tracking number from Lentine’s today for the
    new behringer DS1124P FBD, so they must have gotten their
    shipment in, these are at a good price.
    Thomas- If you don’t mind, that would be great, I could
    compare the two for sound.
    http://www.lentine.com/

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

My new Behringer DSP1124 FBD arrived completely unannounced today! Another forum member got her's today too!

Not bad for $129 and no shipping charges!

Brian

P.S. Now I just need to get my wife outta the house long enough to play with it! I'll probably save that for when I get my 1803 up and running!