What's new

Best price/performer CD player (1 Viewer)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
A carousel would be great, and good DAC's are important too (at least, better than my RX-V1000 has). The wife factor suggests that I should keep the price reasonable. No Linn players, please! Don't care about DVD-A or SACD at this stage of my life! (*)

Thanks,

Martin.

(*) Maybe after either format releases just 1 disc that I would want, I'll think about it...

JerryW

Supporting Actor
The Denon DCM-370 carousel is good, as are the Sony ES carousel players such as the CA70ES and CA80ES. The Marantz CC4000 is also a possibility.
Denon DCM-370, good DACs, HDCD capability, good build quality - $230
Sony CA70ES, very good DACs, CD Text, good build quality - $240
Sony CA80ES, great DACs, CD Text, very good build quality - $350
Marantz CC4000, good DACs, good build quality, very attractive appearance - $200
IMO, I'd rate the DACs as...
Marantz CC4000 - very warm, great for classical and jazz
Denon DCM-370 - warm sound, a little "muddy"
Sony ES - revealing and brighter, I feel that they're the most accurate and prefer the ES line to the other

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, Jerry gave a good summary of carousel CD changers. You should add the Marantz CC4000OSE to the list, though I am particular to the Sony CDP-CA80ES. It was discontinued a few months ago and may be tough to find now. Try J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180). Also, you might consider the NAD 523 for around $300-350.

What type of music do you like? You really can't find one title on SACD or DVD-Audio that suits you? Between the two formats, you have choices in rock, pop, jazz, classical music, and even newer stuff from artists such as Train and Bjork.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Thanks for the posts. I went looking for the two mentioned Sony players on Sony Canada's site, but they weren't there. Do you know: is there a different model number for Canada, or are they just not sold here?
The Denon looks intriguing. I have a Yamaha/Paradigm combo, so perhaps the warmth of the Denon would be beneficial?
Keith,
To be honest, I haven't done an exhaustive search, but my tastes run toward ambient, industrial, 4AD, and electronica, for the most part. As you can see, I'm stuck about 5-10 years ago. I suppose I could find one or two releases I would consider buying, but I think the format(s) will have to be much more prevalent before I need to think about them seriously.
EDIT: just noticed your SACD collection. The Alice and Waters discs could be interesting... Thanks a lot! :angry: More to think about... :D
Thanks again!
Martin.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Well, the Sony SCD-CE775 is supposed to be a pretty good SACD player, and I've heard it does well on CDs too.
You can get it from J&R for about $300-$320, great price for an SACD and would make you more media flexible:
http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...e,Product_Name
Keith has some experience with this piece, maybe he can shed some light on it for us. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, Sony uses the same model numbers for products in Canada and the US. I don't know if the 'CA70ES and 'CA80ES were ever marketed in Canada, but I would think they were. Note that the 'CA80ES was discontinued in the US a few months ago, but the 'CA70ES is still readily available here.

As for the 'CE775, I have heard it in average set-ups, so I can't really comment on its performance. The general consensus I have read here and on Audio Asylum is that SACDs sound great on the 'CE775, but it is a lackluster CD player. I would fully expect the 'CA80ES to be a better CD changer than the 'CE775. Note that build quality on the 'CE775 is average at best and is typical of Sony's mass-market CD changers (i.e., the CDP-CE275, 'CE375, and 'CE575).

As for SACDs, the Alice in Chains and Waters discs are great. Definitely worth picking up. There are a number of outstanding titles on SACD as far as rock and pop are concerned, in my opinion.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i own the Marantz and its build quality is excellent. the tray unit is better than any Sony ES CD player; it's even much better than the new expensive Sony SACD changers (555ES). i went with Marantz simply because of that reason. it's fast and effecient (and -hey- it looks good too!).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Thomas. The Marantz changers (CC3000, CC4000, and CC4000OSE) have the best carousel mechanisms I have seen. The drawers are very fast and smooth. The Sony ES SACD changers are a bit clunky and slow by comparison. So, the Marantz changers have it when it comes to build quality of the carousel. Of course, the Sony ES SACD changers have it when it comes to sound. ;)

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
At first I thought the Denon, but then I noticed that it has been described as "warm and muddy", while the Marantz has been described as "warm". Is the Marantz a better player? Sound is important. Not having the mechanics break down is important too.

I suppose I could listen to them both in the store, but that likely won't tell my anything about my satisfaction once I've got the thing home. I'm not audiophile, so I wouldn't notice the difference myself anyway (in a limited store listening, I mean - not three months from now at home). If the Denon can be had for $100 or so CDN less, would the Marantz still be a better buy?

BTW: I've decided against any Sony products in my future (for personal, vindictive reasons).

Anybody else want to chime in with more comments or suggestions?

Anybody want to describe the Nad, in relation to the Marantz and Denon?

Thanks to all,

Martin.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, I haven't compared the Denon DCM-370 to the Marantz CC4000OSE side-by-side, but the Marantz player is a good unit in terms of sound and build quality. If it were up to me, I'd go with the Marantz CC4000OSE over the Denon or other Marantz models. The Denon player is good for $250-300 USD, but the sound in absolute terms is muddy and the bass is weak. Also, the carousel mechanism is clunky. The Marantz changers (all three models) blow away the Denon in the carousel department. Frankly, I think the Denon's carousel mechanism sucks. Still, it serves me well as a CD source for recording to minidisc. I don't ever use it to listen to CDs.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Thanks Keith! You've been a big help to me.

I'll go out and price the Marantz's then. Do you suppose there's a big difference between the 4000 and the 4000OSE in terms of audio? I'll bet it'll cost significantly more around here...

Martin.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Martin, I never bothered to listen to the CC4000 as far as I can remember. The two changers look identical, and the build quality appears to be identical from the outside. It is on the inside where the CC4000OSE is said to be better. Before buying a Sony SCD-C555ES, I considered straight CD changers and gave the CC4000OSE a good look. In the US, the price difference between the CC4000 and CC4000OSE isn't huge. The CC4000OSE usually sells for $400 USD, which is $100 more than the CC4000 USD. I even had a local dealer willing to sell me a brand new CC4000OSE for $325 USD, so maybe you will find a good deal in your area. There is a dealer in the US who regularly sells the CC4000OSE brand new on eBay for $250 USD ("Buy it Now" price). Perhaps he will ship to Canada. See if one is available on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks