Best price on an optical to coaxial converter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Rags, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Hi all-
    I am making the switch to satellite TV, and my receiver only has an optical output, and I only have a coaxial input left on my receiver (as my DVD is using the optical input). Has anyone ever purchased one? What is the best price around? I saw one for $75 somewhere, but thought that might be a bit pricey. Any suggestions?

2. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Tom,
    I know all too well about those new Sat receivers with only toslink out. Toslink cables are very pricey.
    Sound Professionals in NJ has a converter for $25. http://www.soundprofessionals.com/ha...digformat.html
    I was going to get the Midiman C02 from J&R for $50 but they were out of stock. Then checked out SP as some other members had been using them with good results. I picked up a 5Meter optical cable (good value!) with the converter while I was at it and and it was less than the C02 at J&R.
    I haven't tried the converter yet as the long optical cable was long enough to reach but will start using the converter soon. The Midiman is probably the better unit.
    Take care,
    Gil

3. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Thanks so much Gil, this is the price range I was hoping for! This will suit my needs perfectly. Thanks for the link and for your help.
    Take care,
    Tom