Best price on 5.1 channel SACD/DVD player.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I'm thinking about a new DVD player and a new CD player right now. I know DVD players traditionaly dont make good CD players, but I've also heard that SACD players make awesome CD players. I would like to get a DVD-A player too, but I havent heard of any DVD-A players that make good CD players so I will stick with SACD for now. Any suggestions of what to get and where to get a good price?

2. Randy Prue

Randy Prue Stunt Coordinator

Hello again:

I just came home with the Sony DVP-NC650V. It plays SACD and they also give you one with it, but no sound comes out. It has Dolby and DTS decoders, which I think are screwing up letting the receiver decode it.

I'll have to read the manual! It seems to be a nice machine. I think I have to use the 6 separate RCA outputs to send the whole decoded signal into the 5.1 direct of the receiver.

I'll let you know when I figure it out. I'm anxious to hear how it sounds.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Randy,

As a point of clarification, the model number of your player is DVP-NC650V. :p)

Charles,

You didn't indicate your budget or whether you need progressive-scan video output. Here are DVD/SACD options from Sony (all play multi-channel SACDs):

* DVP-NS500V: This is a single-disc unit and is an interlaced player. Best Buy sells it for $300.

* DVP-NC650V: This is the unit that Randy bought. It is an interlaced five-disc changer. Best Buy sells it for $400.

* DVP-NS900V: This is a single-disc, progressive-scan player. Brick-and-mortar stores sell it for $1000.

You should be able to get better prices on these players from OneCall (1-800-340-4770), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480). All three are authorized dealers. Good luck.

4. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Well, I dont have a budget yet, and I dont have progressive inputs on anything, but that is likely to change in the future. I guess at this point, I would be very hesitant to buy anything that wasnt progressive capable.

5. Randy Prue

Charles:

I think this was in the large What magazine (year-end review) ... something about DVD players with two lasers (I have no idea which those are) playing CDs better than CD players.

I sold my old CD player when I got the DVD player. I don't want to occupy two slots in the rack for "devices that play round things" when one will do.

Of course, my old one was from 1984 and I suspect that just by being newer (I think the electronics have changed, even though this was a very solid, well-built unit), a newer player would do at least as well. So far, I find that the DVD players I've had do a great job on CDs.

6. Randy Prue

...and because the SACD processor is inside the player (along with Dolby and DTS), the only way to get the SACD sound out is by using 6 RCA cables... and I thought life had gotten better because I could get 5.1 on a tiny glass cable... now back to a mess of wires (not to mention the price of 6 decent RCA cables.).

The Dolby and the DTS don't come out well on the glass cable either. It's not sending the decoded signal properly, and it doesn't seem to be sending the encoding properly, either. It's like it's sending ... I don't know what... I have to use ProLogic II on the receiver, because it does not recognize the DTS from the disc, which it does from the NC600.

So, on the weekend, I'll drag my older, larger hi-fi cabinet out of storage, ruin the decor of the living room, and connect it all up so I can listen to Miles Davis on SACD (free SACD with the unit, and a free (cheap) S-Video cable).

7. Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Charles JP,

I purchased a sony DVP-NS900V DVD/SACD player a couple of weeks ago. It replaced a sony 550D DVD player that I was using for a CD player as well. I can not begin to tell you how much better redbook CDs sound not to mention SACD. Just be prepared to spend some additional money on interconnect cables. The sony also lets you turn off the video circuits which does make a small improvement in sound.

I am also very happy with DVD performance on this player. I can see a lot more detail in the picture now. This player mates very well with my Toshiba 57HX81. The street price on this player is about $800.

8. Randy Prue

Greg:

You have whet my appetite! I think the 900 is the next stop from the one I have now (I did very well on the price... not ready to spend $1,500. CAD on the one you got).

Although the Audio Centre sang its praises (what else would they do?), it's great to hear from someone who can hear the difference.

I'm looking forward to "hearing" it. When you talk about cables, I assume you mean a set of 6 high-quality RCA component cables... damn... just the furniture issue is horrendous... routing them in a space that is already a maze of cables.

9. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I've got the 500 on order -- should arrive Monday. I figure the progressive circuitry in my XBR450 32" set is good enough that I don't need to spend the hundreds of extra dollars for the 900. ($700 more at retail to get progressive? Ack!) Besides, once I creep up near $1000, I'd want DVD-A capability as well. I see the 500 as a cheap entry into SACD land. If DVD-A becomes dominant, I won't feel bad about replacing it later.

Anyway,

10. Randy Prue

Ryan:

Thanks for answering a question I was asking myself (damn, had to get up and go to work... had to stop playing with the new toys).

I'd rather send the Dolby and DTS through the fibre-optic, and I did see references to configuring the SACD player to tell it what to send where, so it should be possible to send it out "neat".

There are a lot of surround, etc., options inside the 650 that I do not want to use. The H-K does a great job of all that. I just want the sound delivered. Six cables later (I'll use what I have for now), I want to hear SACD and decide whether to invest in it or not (buying discs, etc.). I suspect that Sony will lose (yet again, despite quality) to DVD-A. Toshiba makes a DVD-A player (I'm sure there are others): the ???5700... not expensive... $435. CAD without negotiating...

I expect one of the "improved" audio formats to take a dominant position in the marketplace (does HDCD have anything to do with this?)... DVD-A is so logical because of the association of DVD with "better" sound than CD... a natural, easy switch for us, the consumers (get a DVD player and also get a player for CD and DVD-A, without being required to buy Sony).

I like Sony players and screens, so for me it's not a problem (I'd have to talk myself into buying a Toshiba or other brand for the sake of the DVD-A).

I think the 900 from Sony does it all, but then there's the price tag issue (even the H-K DVD 50 player is cheaper than that baby!).

11. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer