What's new

Best price for a PS2? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Looking to pick one up, probably next week. Are they still going for $299, or can I find it for less?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
You missed a good deal on outpost.com who were selling a brand new PS2 for $269. It's back up to $299 now but keep checking back from time to time.
Edit: from www.thegia.com
Sony has announced that an announcement about the PS2's long-awaited price drop will be announced at this year's E3. The new price is unknown, though an announcement from Sony could reveal the new price in a pre-final-announcement announcement.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Yea, I'm guessing a $250 price point announcement at E3. If not then, it'll happen prior to Christmas.

The interesting thing will be how Microsoft responds...can they respond?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll keep my eye on Outpost, though I may just wait to see what the price drop will be.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Expect the price on a regular PS2 to drop to $199 when they release the PS2/Modem/HD package at the $299 price point within a month or two.

If you don't really care for the online games on the horizon (ie FFXI, THPS3, etc), then its a nice way to save $100.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
For now the PS2 is retailing for $295 (well, a few pennies under that) at Walmart. So you can at least save yourself enough for an extra value meal.

Jeff P

Agent
I didn't do the math but Bluelight.com has them for $299 less 10% (check out your fav coupon websites) plus 7.97 shipped + local tax ---> Might save a few pennies!!

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Expect the price on a regular PS2 to drop to $199 when they release the PS2/Modem/HD package at the $299 price point within a month or two.
Possible, but that's an awfully large price drop. They could certainly do it as software sales could easily support the money they'd eat on hardware.

I've seen no US release info for the HD or modem (much less the anticipated bundle pack). It certainly won't release prior to E3. I'd bet late 3rd quarter at the earliest.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I'd really second the idea of buying a used one from eBay. If it comes bundled with a few games you like, an extra controller, memory card, etc, you can usually get a great deal.

Just check for positive feedback, ask questions, etc.

I got a mint pre-owned PS2 with 6 sports games (including madden 2002), a second controller and memory card for $325...so there are deals out there. The thing works great!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I bought mine from a company on half.com called World's Best Deals....they mainly sell just refurb PS2s and X-Boxes.

Only problem I ever had was 2 freeze-ups that occured over a 6 month time span, and that seems like par for the course to me, whether new or used. So IMO, they're worth a shot.

Mine was around $260, and included the full warranty.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Target.com has them for 299 but there are some 10% off codes floating around several of the deal sites. Take a look over there and that would bring it down to 270 plus possible tax/shipping.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
If you don't mind getting a credit card, you can take advantage of the 10% off deal by signing up for a Targte or Sears card. You can cancel it after you pay for your discounted purchases...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
As a person who's bought consoles on ebay before, I recommend visitng your local Funcoland, EB World, or Pawn shop first. There are great deals but I'm willing to pay a little more to see its condition with my own eyes and have the security of returning it if there's a problem.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's a Funco right up the street, may have to stop in there. 10% off is not going to do it when I have to pay shipping. There are plenty of places locally that carry the PS2, so the cost would have to be a LOT less (still below $299 including shipping) for me to order it online.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I seriously doubt you'll be able to find it online cheap enough to make it worth your while. All of the places I've seen that sell them at $250 - $300 either have ridiculous shipping rates, or they force you to buy a package with an extra controller, memory card and DVD remote. So you wind up paying more than $300 in the end.
The cheapest I saw at www.shopping.yahoo.com was $320 total...which is the same as you'd pay locally with 7% tax.
Check that site out....there's a few sites that sell them cheaper than $299....I didn't figure shipping but on 2.

Jeff P

Agent
Stolen from techbargains.com...

overstock.com has Playstation 2 consoles for $249.99 - $20 coupon = $229.99 shipped for only $3.95. Select Search by brand - Sony

Youssef

Stunt Coordinator
hey josh, if u order from gamestop.com they have a refubrished ps2, a copy of GTA 3, an extra generic controller, and dvd remote all for $249.
by the way, can anyone give me a link for 10% off purchases at Target?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks