Best preAmp for $3k or under?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve paul, Jan 14, 2002.

1. steve paul

steve paul Stunt Coordinator

I bought a Pioneer ELite 49tx reciever, and LOVE IT, but I found a guy locally selling a sunfire cinema grand for $500 and snaggeditup. Hooked it up to my Pioneers outputs and noticed a difference in power and clarity. NOW I still have three weeks to r eturn the 49tx, but it does make a GREAT pre/pro since it has every feature available now. Should I keep the 49tx or is there something better for $3k (what I paid for the 49)

Also, I know different amps have different sounds, but do preamps affect the sound quality?

2. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Certainly pre-amps affect sound. But then your talking about a pre-processor, not really a pre-amp. Perhaps in the technical sense, but most consider a pre-amp a 2 channel device.
    If your not going to use the amps inside the bemmouth Pioneer, then that is somewhat of a waist. More importantly, many people feel that receivers naturally have a higher noise floor, due to increased electronics in a small box, and consequently, many times don't have the specs of a great pre-processor. At the very least, your talking about a lot more heat. But odds are, a higher noise floor as well, to some degree.
    Perhaps in the end, you must decide how important all the latest bells and whistles are to you, (DTS ES, EX, 6.1 THX, etc...), or is sound QUALITY more important?
    My Lexicon MC-1 doesn't do all the latest tricks, but it's very very good at what it does. But to call attention again to the difference in pre-amps and pre-processors, the MC-1 cannot hold a candle in 2 channel performance to my Classe' CP-35, that cost a mere 600 used. [​IMG]
    I can't believe 66 people read this message before I replied.
    Lex

3. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

4. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Gordon, good point! Well, I never discount looking used either. After all a nice MC-1 at 3K used wouldn't be a bad pre-pro option at all. But it's true, mostly 5K and up.

Dont' get me wrong, I love Pioneer Elite products, and own several myself. I am sure the big Elite is awesome. What I said applied to receivers "in general". No specifics for this unit...

Lex

5. steve paul

steve paul Stunt Coordinator

Actually I decide dto keep the 49tx and will use 2 of teh channels for teh 2 extra rears when I get them, so Ill be using it somewhat. It has every feature you can get now, so its a keeper. I love the sound now with the sunfire amp added. SO much power. There is a prettybig difference with that compared to just using the amps in the 49. Thanks for the replies guys!

6. Donald Shrum

Donald Shrum Stunt Coordinator

7. Dan Coughlin

Dan Coughlin Extra