Best PQ dvd player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndyHangartner, Feb 2, 2003.

1. AndyHangartner

AndyHangartner Stunt Coordinator

Gathering opinions from those who have used different players.
    If you could pick the highest picture quality, (without regards to chroma bug), progressive scan, not worried about dvd-a or Superaudio, with the best color saturation and depth, to look the most like HDTV, to use on a Panny HDTV widescreen, to replace my RP82, what would you choose? (Hows that for one sentence)[​IMG]
    I am looking presently at the 47ai, the 999es and the 3800.
    Opinions please!
    thanks all
    andy

2. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

I can't confirm this from specific experience, but I bet most people are going to tell you that the Pany 82 is better than those that you listed. Search for the recent Secrets review. According to them, the 82 is the best.

By the way, I'm currently looking for exactly what you are, and am considering all of the above.

3. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

Andy,

FYI, here's some comments Don Munsil made about the 3800 and PR82 in a post on the AVS forum (some member names edited out):

"Yes, small amounts of Y/C delay (1 sample or less) in the same direction is relatively tricky to see without a very clear understanding of what you're supposed to be seeing on a test pattern, and/or a "before" and "after" comparison. The 3800 has 1 sample delay, so it's pretty hard to see. The impact on the image is relatively small in real-world viewing, but non zero. It's much harder to see on normal material than, say, the chroma upsampling error, if that tells you anything.

How much should you care? Impossible to say. It's outside the spec, so we had to fail it. Overall, I personally like the 3800 a lot. It's a very well-made piece of equipment and Denon has put a lot of engineering into it. I do think they should fix the chroma delay, and they absolutely can do it with a firmware upgrade.

The scoring system is explained in detail in the Guide to the Shootout. The Y/C delay is a high-weighted test, so it would probably rank in the same ballpark as the RP82. Heck, it's in the same ballpark now."

Best,
    Don

4. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

For equal dollars, I would venture to say that most RP82 owners would gladly take a Denon 3800. You can put my name on the list.

Starting to hear some real good things about the new Yamaha S2300 as well.

Tim

5. JoeEPTCB

JoeEPTCB Auditioning

Andy...since you said you weren't concerned with audio why not read up on the Denon 2800MKII...virtually identical video superiority as the 3800 but w/out the beefed up audio section at about $400 less...unless Phil knows of some negatives regarding the 2800MKII. Both have the Silicon chipset which gives almost 3-D PQ.

6. TanD

TanD Stunt Coordinator

7. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

Joe,

I don't know much about the 2800MKII except for:

- It has the chroma bug so the extra 3800 money to get rid of it is worth it to me, plus get the 3800's superb audio and bass management. My HT is all analog audio, so I use the 3800's BM to balance the sound for movies.

- I've seen the 2800 and it's images are a bit too soft for me - are the 2800MKII's images soft like the 2800? Look here to see the bad (IMHO) video bandwidth roll-off in the 2800 that is causing it's softness:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=all

If the 2800MKII rolls-off like this then I wouldn't prefer it due to my tastes. Now look in the above link at the 3800's slight monotonic bandwidth increase with frequency, which looks perfect for folks like me who prefer any bandwidth non-flatness to be on the sharp side in a DVD player's analog video bandwidth design. [​IMG]