Best Power Conditioner - Surge Proector

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Philip

Philip Extra

What are some of the better ones to use with my HT? I've seen the Monster and Panamax units, which can reach over $1,000.

Reviews have also reflected better sound and video signals from "cleaning up "dirty" power.

Has anyone really enhanced their picture and audio from one of these units?

Phil

2. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

Phil,
    I believe power conditioners will somewhat improve the AC that reaches your equipment's power source. Depending on how bad the AC at your place is and depending on how carefully the power source in each piece of your HT has been designed, they may or may not make a difference. And whether it will be audible or not is also a heated discussion.
    OTOH there's protection. I wouldn't think twice when it comes to protecting expensive electronic stuff from surges, sags and the likes. I already had a burned board from a blackout.
    Maybe the best stuff around is PSAudio's P300/P600/P1200 power regenerators, but that's a different animal, since it will overcome the power conditioner's shortcoming of not being able to fix clipped AC. For more info check their web site at www.psaudio.com. These are very pricey units, though.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, thanks for the link. I started a thread on the tweaks board asking about Monster vs. Panamax units. Your link will make for a good read for me.

5. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

Monster Power HTS 2000. Look at the reviews on this piece from Audioreview.com, Audio Asylum, and T.A.S.

This is your Bang for the Buck unit. It streets for under $120.00

$0.02

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, one has to take PS Audio's statements against other power conditioners with a grain of salt. There has got to be some marketing hype there. My local high-end dealer sells Panamax units and talks down Monster and PS Audio products. A salesman I deal with there often told me that this store had PS Audio come in and demo their products awhile back, and the sales staff was unimpressed. He said that they found PS Audio products to color the sound, so they decided not to carry the brand.
    If I do go with a power conditioner, I am leaning to the Panamax MAX 5300 from www.discountpanamax.com for around $350.

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I suggest forgetting about "power conditioners", which, if you have decently designed equipment, you don't need, and instead investigate surge protection, which we all need reqardless of equipment. Try Brickwall for some good choices.

8. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Will a power conditioner "help" in a place where power outtages occur...well not often but quite a few times? Out here when the wind blows hard enough, power goes out. I already have an APS surge protector but I'm not sure if its enough. Maybe a power conditioner or even, as someone has advised me, a voltage regulator like that Furman thingy.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Alan, I appreciate the alternative viewpoint. I'll check out brickwall.com.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

All I know is this:
    I had an Adcom ACE 515 then a 615. At various times I also had up to 2 Richard Gray Power Company 400s'.
    I have a halogen lamp on the same circuit as my HT.
    The halogen lamp caused a hum in my 2 Acurus A200x3 power amps.
    With the Adcom, I could hear the hum at my listening position. With a RGPC 400s, I could only hear the hum with my ear to the amps.
    When I chucked the Adcom and Richard Gray, and got an Equitech 2Q, no more hum. Video is also a lot "cleaner", black blacker, and the colors more vibrant. The soundstage improved as well. More dynamic, and "open".
    I can certianly understand not wanting to take verbage such as, "all of the sudden, the mid range opened up," or "the highs seemed less edgy," but all that the PS Audio site does is to present data, and then try to explain it. I don't see where the spin is there.
    Look at the reviews on Secrets. Learn that they discovered that AC quality really does matter, and that they spotted distinct differences in DVD player output quality depending on what kind of AC they were fed. Learn that balanced power helps to improve jitter.
    www.b-p-t.com has very favorably priced balanced power units. If anyone is *serious* about AC quality and the performance of their HT/stereo system, a little research goes a long way... [​IMG]

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, thanks again for the information. It is obvious that you have researched this subject quite a bit.

12. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

My .02 ...

We're all looking at tweaks, it's the nature of the hobby, and all to the good. The problem with power is that it's dependent on one's geographic locality (storms, lightning), utility and grid, and home electrical system, not to mention one's equipment ideosyncrasies. Added to this mix are the many anecdotal stories.

I "interviewed" a senior EE at my locally-owned utility(small, 500MW summer peak) a year ago, and concluded that consumer-level surge protectors were all I needed, given the reliability of my utility and it's substation loop system that typically restores power outages in less than a minute when they occur, not more than 2-3 times a year, if that.

And as a bonus, California never experienced the waves of brownouts that were "forecast" a year ago.

But these products exist and marketers have a right to to sell them. Aside, I think a lot of these devices originated for computer-based use and took a sidetrip to HT because of this new market. Certainly, when you get to high-end HT/Audio it pays to take a look.

I looked at Kevin's link to BPT. As opposed to power conditioners that "modify" what comes in from the street, BPT says it works on home-induced noise from appliance motors, fluorescent lits, dimmers and RF. So far so good.

Even here, it's the marketing buzz that gets to me, the ad copy that dangles these magic bullets that are so seducing...

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Bill - I 100% agree: [​IMG]
    The only thing a power conditioner can do is to let your system realize it's *full potential* with clean power (vs "dirty" power).
    Can't make it sound (or look) any better than each of the individual components' contribution under ideal circumstances.
    But alas, companies do want to sell products, and marketing and propoganda are part of that even with well designed products that do what they are advertised to do.
    There's a lot of other "flavors" of marketing and real info too (imagine that!) at www.equitech.com and www.smartdev.com/smartht.html (line purifiers).
    If you think that "balanced" interconnects buy you something over std RCA (phono) jacks, then it's just the same principal for balanced power.
    Oh, and I remembered the actual numbers: *average* jitter gets cut in 1/2, and *peak* jitter is reduced by 2/3 with balanced power.
    Keith- Just like anything in the audio world, sometimes takes a little while to discover what (you or I or anyone) thinks is the best answer for each of us.
    And no, I didn't pay full price for the EquiTech! If you look around their site, there's a "refurbs, returns" etc section where I got mine.