Best Power Amp under $500, Mono or Otherwise?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Zos, Jan 26, 2002.

1. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I've got a Denon 3802 driving Klipsch speakers and want to add separate amps.

The nOrh Le Amp seems to have gotten some praise, as has the Marantz MA500 monoblock.

I'm not sure if I should go with monoblocks, or something like the Denon POA 5200, a two channel amp. Advantage of monoblocks is that I don't have much money to spend right now, but can always add more later...

What do you think?

Any amp recommendations under $500?

2. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

I like my le-amps alot. I never really fingered / heard the Marantz mono's...but I can't imagine them having a better build quality than the le-amps.

About the only thing underwhelming about the le-amps is their boxing isn't the greatest. But something that heavy being shipped from overseas.....as long as they make it to me in 1 piece....

I've got two in a stereo only rig, and a 3rd doing center-channel duty until my next round of upgrade-itis.

3. RobG

RobG Stunt Coordinator

I purchased a Sherwood 5ch amp (http://www.sherwoodusa.com/newcastle/sep_am.htm) from Ubid for 349.99 + shipping. It made a huge difference in sound quality. My system no longer strains at loud volumes and demanding scenes. Ubid had a couple different runs with them but I havent seen any in the last week.

4. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the great responses, guys!

Monoblocks seem like a good way to go, since you can always add more. Any DISADVANTAGES to monoblocks?

5. Jeff H

Jeff H Stunt Coordinator

The only downside to mono blocks is upgrading if you want more power. You will have to upgrade each channel. I have Adcom 200 watt amps and Carver 100 watt amps. I wanted more power so I was able to bridge my Carvers and now I have 300 watts per channel up front. If I want to up my power some more I can bridge my Adcoms and get 600 watts in mono. Just a thought. Good luck!

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest