Best portable MP3 player for jogging?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike St.Louis, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

I'm going to start a running program and I want to take tunes with me. I'd also like it for the car to plug into my car stereo line in.

I'd like to have a large capacity MP3 player so I'm considering the iPod for Windows. The iPod has everything I want in an MP3 player but NOT if it is going to skip while I run.

A player that uses memory cards won't skip but the capacity is not as good as the iPod. Plus the smart media is expen$ive.

Another possibility is a MiniDisc player. From what I've read the capacity per disk has gone up considerably. It is also much cheaper than the iPod.

What do you runners out there use?

2. Peter Yee

Peter Yee Stunt Coordinator
    Supporter

I have to admit, I use an Intel PocketConcert. Unfortunately, it's non-expandable, but it comes with 128 MB. You could get a flash memory player that's expandable and end up with at least 256 MB (more if it uses CompactFlash). Sure, the memory is expensive, but how long do you run? With 256 MB, you should be able to carry several hours of reasonable quality music. Between runs, you can load in new music.
    Completely skip-free. What's not to love? [​IMG]
    -Peter
    PS Also consider the weight of the unit and how much it will bounce or fly around when you're jogging.

3. Dan Galyen

Dan Galyen Agent

I have the lyra by RCA that has 64MB cartridges that are insertable. The more cartridges you buy, the more you can expand memory.

Also, I have dropped this and it never skipped a beat.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Most if not all MP3 players are solid-state, IE no moving parts. So they will NEVER skip during vigourus action. The Hard-Drive based ones im not sure about, but all flash-memory based ones are completely skip free... ALL

5. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

I would second the iPod idea. I've had an iPod since February and use it to work out all the time- doesn't skip, sounds great and it fit's in more than 23 hours of music. [​IMG]
    Rafael

6. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

The iPod has a 32MB memory buffer so unless you're doing foot-fire drills for 20 something minutes straight I don't see how it's going to skip. Mine never has.

7. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

If you're doing heavy workouts/running, I wouldn't buy an iPod. Granted, I have zero experience with them, but there's a hard drive in there that could be damaged. I'm sure it's a special drive setup and can handle a lot of movement, but still... those damn things are spendy and I wouldn't want to risk it.

I'd get the smallest unit I could find with an expandable memory port. Stuff it in your pocket and go have fun.

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I have an iPod and yes, it has a hard drive inside (try finding a player with 5GB of flash memory.) But the thing has never skipped while biking or jogging and it has even been dropped accidentally. Still works like a charm.

I also have a portable MP3 player (actually used primarily for recording) and that never skips either. But the discs limit you to 320 minutes at the highest compression level. At that level (LP4) there is a noticeable drop-off in sound quality.

9. Mike St.Louis

Anybody have experience with the new MiniDisc players? They claim they can hold 5 hours worth of music now.

10. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Yeah, I own one. The five hour time they give is if you use a 74 minute disk (they also sell 80 minutes versions) at the highest compression level. You can get 74 minutes at its normal rate, 148 minutes at LP2 (mid-range compression with almost no noticeable quality drop-off) and 296 minutes at LP4 (highest compression level with a definite decrease in the quality of the sound.) Granted, I usually use my portable MD now only for recording, but I have all of my music recorded at LP2 level.

11. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I third the vote for the iPod. I just got one of the new 10g models with the remote and case. I ran about 5 miles this morning with it strapped to my belt without a single skip.

12. Mike St.Louis

Well I just placed an order for the 10 GB iPod for Windows. [​IMG]
    Unfortunately the eta is 4 - 6 weeks! [​IMG]
    I got the Windows version as I don't have a Mac - yet. I want to get an eMac in a few months. I hope I can covert the iPod over to Mac easily as I would prefer to use it with iTunes.

13. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

You'll be able to use it with the Mac, but you'll have to re-format it first. The Windows version comes formatted for FAT32 and the Apple version is formatted for HFS+. An updater is available for download from Apple that allows for reformatting from Windows to Mac, but not vice-versa. There's probably a third party utility that will do it, though.

14. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

A friend of mine has been evalutating one of the 20gb ipods for a month or so. He says he has no problems w/ skipping.

15. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Yeah, go with the iPod...it's the best MP3 player out there. 20 f-ing GIGS, baby!! [​IMG]

16. Mike St.Louis

I just got notice from Apple that my iPod is finally being shipped.

I haven't heard any reviews for the Windows version. I hope the interface and usability are as good as the Mac version for moving files around. I don't expect the Windows iPod and MusicMatch to work as well as the iPod and iTunes combination.

17. Rob_J

Rob_J Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone heard of or seen an MP3 player that uses compact flash cards? That would be handy, seeing as I already use those for my camera.

18. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Congrats, Mike. I've been using my 20GB Mac iPod for three weeks now and I love it. Have well over 1,000 songs available, my entire Palm contact list and calendar as well as a full bootable version of Jaguar...and still have over 12GB to spare. [​IMG]

19. Mike St.Louis

Rob_J,
    Check out this site:
    http://hardware.mp3.com/hardware/
    You can do a search for portables and they should tell you what media they support. The reviews are not always up to date but it should give you an idea what's out there.
    ---
    Thanks for the recommendation Mike. Based on the good reviews I've heard from you and others I'm sure I will be pleased with it.

20. Mike St.Louis

Well I got my iPod on Tuesday. I was able to hook it up to my external firewire drive and dump some tunes on it.

Some initial comments:

The battery seems to discharge fairly rapidly. I charged it fully on Tuesday when I got it. The following day the indicator said it was down to half a charge! I had not used it much since the first charge so this was surprising. I charged it again and already it is down to 3/4 of a charge!

Anyway I took it on the ultimate test for which I bought it. Running. I went for a short run and after the 3rd song there was nothing. I fiddled with the remote and the connections but they seemed fine. I waited till my run was over to check out what the problem was. It had locked up on a song. I had to do a reset to get it to shut off. After that it worked fine on the walk home.

I looked on the Apple website to see if there was any information on this but I couldn't find anything. I hope this doesn't happen again. I will do some more testing to see if it is a cetain MP3 that caused it to lock up.