Best Pop Band of the 80s?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Michael Martin, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Before even giving my thoughts, this thread is for FUN. We can debate, disagree, even good-naturedly rib each other's choices. But let's keep it calm, yes? [​IMG]
    Anyway, as much as I generally dislike categorizing bands (or people), I've thought a lot about this. I decided on "pop" band simply because it seemed easier, and my immediate recall of other music genres of the 80s is not that great!
    My vote is for Journey. If you look at their output of the 80s, not only did they produce fantastic pop songs (and "Don't Stop Believing" has my vote for best pop song of the decade), they continued to grow as a band. Each album had a sound, and even two albums side-by-side ("Escape" and "Frontiers," fer instance) sound dramatically different.
    On top of that, at least some members of the band were very talented. Neil Schon was (and is) a great guitarist; Steve Perry could really belt them out (though his voice has since gone raspy), and Steve Smith was a capable drummer.
    I do think "Raised on Radio" was horribly disappointing, but their other albums and singles really are inextricable from the 80s.
    What do y'all think?

2. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

3. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

the police

4. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Genesis.

5. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

The Police, without a doubt.

6. Michael Martin

Genesis and U2 I would disqualify, as I don't think of them as pop bands. Genesis, especially. U2 came close to pop with "Joshua Tree" and "Rattle and Hum," but quickly veered away again. "The Unforgettable Fire," my favorite U2 album, is definitely NOT pop, with the possible exclusion of "Pride (in the name of love."

Police are another good vote, IMNSHO. They peaked the same year as Journey - 1983 - but hung it up after that. "Synchronicity" certainly is a great album, but I think it is "quirky" enough to not be as "pure" pop as Journey's "Escape" or "Frontiers."

7. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Talking Heads

8. mike_decock

9. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

It depends on what era of the 80s we're getting into. Quality: The Cure, The Police, New Order, The Smiths. Not necessarily in any order. Lots more where they came from, but that's a good start.

10. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Funny this should come up. The guy from Men at work is playing acoustic guitar and singing one of the hits on the premiere of "Scrubs" as I type this! I really did like them and saw them in concert in Austin in the 80's. To me though, the only thing good about the 80's was Stevie Ray Vaughn (RIP)[​IMG]

11. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

I would have to agree with The Police...for the first half of the 80's. They broke up in '86. From '86 on my vote would go to Crowded House.

Hmmmm...I'm sitting here thinking about what pop bands had consistently put out good stuff throughout the '80's. I'm drawing a blank. Maybe all those hair bands during the decade are clouding my memory!

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I like THE STYLE COUNCIL. They're my heroes! They've said shitty on the radio more times than anybody else in history. The chorus of LONG HOT SUMMER has "...shitty ditty..." repeated over and over in it. This slipped past those who would of censored it and it was a radio hit. Then Paul Weller announced that he'd said shit on the radio more than anybody else. That was the end of LONG HOT SUMMER's airplay![​IMG]

13. mike_decock

Disclaimer:

If you have no sense of humor, do NOT read the rest of this message.

I personally view the '80s as the dark ages of music. The energy of the 70's was lost. Disco had ruined rock forever and the plague of electronica swept through all genres.

Gone were the concept albums. Gone were the songs that lasted half an album's length. In it's stead we were assualted with inane "pop" tunes whose only requirement to be a hit were it's danceability. Give me 120 beats per minute and turn up those freakin' handclaps!

There were a few bastions of hope during these dark ages. U2 and The Police drew ardent supporters, not because they were especially good, but simply because they sucked a whole lot less than the rest of the crap out there.

Some of the musical styles that rose up in opposition to 80's pop offered a few moments of hope. Punk was mostly talentless screaming and instrumental abuse, but Heavy Metal became an art unto itself.

Perhaps the only diamond in this entire decade was Metallica's "Master Of Puppets". An intensely focused album, well constructed and carefully performed. Besides King's X they were possibly the only band to have risen up during the 80's to do anything worthwhile.

Many of the bands like RUSH and Yes that had created some of the the great music of the 70's made a few honorable efforts but they all eventually succumbed to mediocrity or worse. The day I heard Geddy Lee rapping, I gave up hope entirely.

The dawn of the 90's brought us Alternative Rock, spawned out of the Punk and Metal scenes and offered a new direction the masses could appreciate. It wasn't especially good, but at least it wasn't the insipid crap we had to put up with for an entire decade.

If I had a time machine, I wouldn't hesitate to uninvent the transistor, the synthesizer and MTV.

At least I can make believe that had those elements not propelled us into the sonic quagmire we muddle through now, there might actually be some interesting music being made today.

-Mike...

14. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

15. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Mike,

Actually, you should be happy now, since progressive rock has made a comeback in the 90s. If you want some suggestions, send me a PM.

Personally, I think there was more crap during the 90s than in the 80s. At least the pop during the 80s was listenable to me. I can't say the same for the 90s. Singers that can't sing, musicians who can't play.

BTW, I respectfully disagree about Yes and Rush (Tho I wouldn't call the band that was Yes in the 80s by that name. They should have been called something else, because that band wasn't Yes.) In fact, I'd say that Rush was one of the best bands of the decade.

As for what I think, while I think The Police and Journey are fine bands, they weren't around the whole decade. Personally, my selection would be Duran Duran, who had hits throughout the decade.

Jason

16. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Duran Duran. The answer to this question just HAS to be a europop group, and they had about a gajillion and six mega-hit singles.
    NP: Peter Gabriel - Up

17. Michael Martin

18. Michael Martin

19. mike_decock

20. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer