Best Player $400-$500, looking at Denon-2200

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Lamar, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Lamar

Lamar Auditioning

I have given up trying to fix my RP-82 and I was not very impressed with the Samsung 931. The Samsung looked great with Monsters Inc. but very very grainy on other movies (Star Wars, Fifth Element) so I returned it. I am now looking to upgrade a little and am willing to spend 4-500 dollars on a player. I do not really listen to music, all I really want is very good video and decent sound. I am looking seriously at the Denon 2200 or 1200. They both look like good players but I have never seen a Denon Player in person. What do you guys think? and does anyone know which B&M stores carry the Denon Players so I can see one in person?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I have a Denon DVD player (and a Samsung as well), but not the models you are considering.

To be accurate I have not spent much time looking at either the 2900 or 1200, so you need to consider that in my following comments:

The 1200 has the Faroudja de-interlacing chip and has a very fine picture (the same chip as in my Denon DVD player). This player also has DVD-A capabilities, so if you are not that interested in 5–channel audio, you might be paying for something that is not that important. I have not listened to DVD-A on this player and have no opinion as to its merits.

The 2900 does not have the Faroudja chip, so I would expect that it might not have quite as good a picture as the 1200—but I have not done an A/B comparison so I could be wrong. It has both DVD-A and SA-CD capabilities which I have not heard.

The Denon 910 might be an option that would best meet your needs as it has neither of the HiRez music capabilities—it will just play CDs. It has the Faroudja chip and provides an outstanding picture.

It you want a multi-disk player, the 2815 and 1815 both have the Faroudja chip.

You ought to be able to find Denon at Tweeter and Ultimate, as well as any mid-range audio/HT store. I don’t think Best Buy carries Denon, but Circuit City might.

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Tweeter and Good Guys retail stores carry Denon. The Denon DVD-910 ($299) has the same video section as the DVD-1200 ($399) if you want to save some money. DVD-1200 adds DVD-audio.

4. Lamar

Lamar Auditioning

Does anybody know what's the difference between the 1200 and the 2200?

5. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

The 1200 and 2200 are actually completly different machines. The 2200 is the baby brother of the 2900 (which has the bigger brother the 5900). The 2200 and 2900 are based on the Si504 chip, which is just as good as the Faroudja. Secrets actually thinks it is better with film, but slightly behind the Faroudja in video.

The 1200 is really like the 910 with DVD-A.

6. Raj_Thiara

Raj_Thiara Agent

I would like to throw in the Yamaha S1500 that is set to debut in March with an MSRP of $399:

http://www.kensei-con.net/cetc/publi...le_14633.shtml

The Yamaha S2300 which featured Faroudja apparently was a very strong performer in terms of video picture but retailed $799-999 US.

7. Don_Berg

The Denon 1200 has Faroudja and DVD-audio, while the 2200 has Silicon-Image and DVD-audio plus SACD.

8. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

I'm ending up with the DVD2200, since the step-ups to the DVD2900 don't seem to be worth it for me.

The new Marantz DV6400 was in contention, but I'm just a hopeless Denon mark.

I've been buying a lot of Hybrid SACD discs lately, so that was my primary motivation. So far, I lean towards SACD over DVD-A for audio reproduction.

9. Lamar

Lamar Auditioning

What are you guys opinion of the Silicon image chip compared to the Faroudja. I have seen the faroudja, and liked it, but I don't think I've seen any model with the Silicon Image chip. Also, I see on the Denon site they have Dakmart listed as an authorized dealer and I found them selling on E-Bay. Anybody heard good/Bad? I'm only looking at going that route because I don't have any retailers that carry Denon here, except for High-End A/V retailers that want to charge way too much. I guess the image quality of the SI chip would have to be quite a bit better to justify the $200-$300 jump.

Thanks for all your help!!

10. Don_Berg

The high-end Denons use the Silicon Image de-interlacer. Reports are SI is slightly better with film-based DVD titles, while the Faroudja is better with video-based titles. So I would say its kind of a wash. The SI models cost more I believe because Denon adds other features like SACD and DVD-audio and more expensive DACS,etc. to those models - so its not the de-interlacer cost that makes ir more expensive. I went with a Faroudja-based model since I didn't care about the extre features, I just wanted good DVD video quality. So I found a used Panasonic XP30 on EBAY a few months ago for $250 and am satisfied.

11. DonM

DonM Agent

Dakmart only sells "B" goods that are refurbished units. They don't sell new Denons. They are an authorized Denon refurbished unit seller from what I read. I also read some reviews of Dakmart Customer Service and it wasn't pretty. I can't vouch one way or the other for a refurbished Denon but for $50 more you can get a brand new Denon on the internet from Etronics.com They sell the DVD 910 for $250 delivered. I was hedging on buying one but I don't know much about them. Be advised that Denon will not honor the factory warranty unless you buy from an authorized dealer. They make that clear. So you better put a few bucks in for an after market warranty if you want one.

12. Mike Co

Mike Co Agent

Has anyone heard the Pioneer 563A and the 2200? Is the audio quality difference significant. I like the idea of SACD + DVD-A on the same machine, as long as the Redbook performance is reasonably strong, where Denon probably has an edge.

13. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

For $400-500 I'd take a strong look at the Marantz 6400.

14. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

On the Marantz unit, does it have Faroudja? Also, one thing that I am starting to notice more and more now is the pause during a movie when during scene changes, etc. I want a DVD player with a little built in memory so that doesn't happen anymore. I'm also considering the 6400.

15. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

The Philips dvd 963sa has dcdi and got rave reviews for both video and audio. Its one of the few dvd inexpensive dvd players that can play cd as well as cd transports. It also plays sacd and upconverts cd audio to 24/192. Street prices around $350