Best Plasma for under 3000?????????~~?~???!???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jon Cheung, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Jon Cheung

Jon Cheung Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I'm going to buy a Tv very soon but i have no clue in the world which one to buy. My budget is 3000 U.S. I'm looking for around a 45-50 inch display. Thanks

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    I dont think any plasma has hit this price point yet. The Gateway might, but it doenst offer a great resolution and its black's suck

Regards

Gregg

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Correct. The Gateway can't do high def, whereas you can spend significantly less (way less) and obtain much, much better performance. Don't be swayed by the sexiness of being able to hang a display on the wall. Apply your hard-earned dollars toward the best-possible performance (including deep, rich black levels).

4. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

Gateways 50" is a HDTV but it cost $6999

5. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

Best plasma for under $3,000? Hands down the new Panasonic TH-PWD6UY "ED" plasma! It improves on the already industry-leading plasma black levels of the former "5UY" model (virtually every review you can find on the Panasonic remarks on the excellent black levels).

Once you've lived with plasma's perfect convergence, perfect geometry, perfect focus and perfectly even brightness, combined with the Panasonic's nice black levels, it's tough to go back to some of the other technologies. I've yet to find a better picture, especially for DVD, in the 42" size category or below from any other display type. It's not only the best ED plasma model (save perhaps Fujitsu's plasma based upon the same design), the Panasonic has a picture that beats out even some more expensive HD models. And, while not truly hi-def in resolution it looks fabulous with hi-def - I prefer hi-def on the Panasonic plasma vs Hi-Def on any consumer Direct View I've auditioned...which is most of them. (I even prefer the hi-def on the Panasonic ED plasma over the RPTVs...among other things, I find the uneven illumination of the RPTVs distracting).

Here's info and price from a very reliable on-line vendor:

http://www.plasmaextreme.us/42pwd6uy.htm

You can still find the "5UY" version of this plasma for even hundreds cheaper (it's essentially the model I own).

For much more help in choosing which plasma to buy, go here:

AVS Flat Screen/Plasma Forum

Best of luck. (BTW, click on the link below my name if you wish to get an idea of what movie images look like on the Panasonic plasma - I own last year's model and used for the screen shot images).

6. Jon Cheung

Jon Cheung Stunt Coordinator

Hmmmm, alrighty, how about the best plasma for under 6 grand? haha, thanx. Or best plasma for the money.

7. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

Getting greedy now are we Jon? [​IMG]

I think you can find the Panasonic and Pioneer 50" models for close to $6,000 on line.

General consensus puts the Fujitsu P50 as the best plasma you can buy. It's based upon the Panasonic design with tweaks to the electronics for an even better image. It is more expensive than the Panasonic/Pioneer brands, though.

Rich.