Best places to visit in CO?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Van Patton, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

I am wanting to go to CO for Spring Break from college in the first week of March. I've never done any skiing but would love to try it. Never vistited CO but love hiking and all things outdoor related. Keep in mind that it would be me and a buddy of mine going. Thanks for all the input guys!!!

2. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

Breckenridge!!!!!!!!!! great skiing and a lively little town, certainly better than Deadville aka where I live now. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I've been to Colorado 4 times and you could spend weeks just sight seeing.

3. David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes Second Unit

March is a tricky time here in Colorado. Most hikeing is pretty much out unless you wear snowshoes. March is great skiing/snowboarding since we get most of our snow in March.

What part of Colorado are you visiting? Each area has its own unique attributes and must see items.

4. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

well if you have the cash Vail is a pretty snazzy place. It has lots of attractions and the sking is excellent. A 3 day lift ticket will run you about $300 bucks though.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

There's an outdoor park in Colorado Springs that is well worth seeing.. Then again it might be covered up with snow.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Garden of the Gods?
    In May it'll be hit or miss, could be nice could be cold and snowy.

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Phillip,
    Yes that's the place. Well worth my last trip to Colorado.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

VERY cool place. It's close to I25, and best of all it's free.
    looks like they have a website http://www.gardenofgods.com/
    Lots of trails and climbing, I always just drive through though [​IMG]

I guess I don't get out much, living here and all. I don't know any cool places really [​IMG]
    there's a pretty cool bar in the springs called meadow muffins, kind of a strange place but the food is ok and the decor is interesting.. if you're in the area and hungry [​IMG]

9. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

You may want to take a trip to Glenwood Springs. Take I-70 from Denver and go west. Takes you by some popular ski resorts including Vail, then through Glenwood Canyon which is awesome. While in Glenwood, bring your swim suit and check out the hot springs. Stay in one of the classic hotels (The Colorado IIRC). The Itatalian Underground is a quaint little resturaunt nearby that has some good food and charm.

Might help to know what kind of activities you're looking for, price range and what part of CO your interested in visiting.

10. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

from my limited time I've visited Colorado , "The Summit" is as good as it gets.

Here's a pic as you enter Summit County after exiting the Eisenhower Tunnel. my memory sucks, but even I can remember that exact view 13 years later. . Awesome!!!!!

[​IMG]

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

that's a great drive in a nice handling car [​IMG]
    Just watch out for the CSP, they're everywhere up there.

12. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

You're not kidding P_G. I was just on that stretch a couple weeks ago and the CSP were everywhere going down the long slope west of the Eisenhower Tunnel.

13. Dennis C. Wallace

Dennis C. Wallace Auditioning

Ski Cooper in Leadville is the cheapest lift ticket around.

14. Kevin Tx

Kevin Tx Extra

Winter Park is a great place for skiing. They have runs for all skill levels and the night life is pretty good also.
    A few miles down the road is Frasier with a good tubing hill too.
    [There is a tow rope to pull you back up the hill][​IMG]

15. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

The runs are OK for beginners, but I've always thought that the areas around the lifts were too flat, causing you to have to pole your way around them rather than just skiing into the line. I've always preferred Keystone for green runs since Schoolmarm goes on forever. If a skier is ready for constant blue runs, I always recommend Copper. I can't speak to the night life aspects since my apres-ski activities always involve driving home.

Note to Van: you aren't the only college student that likes to ski on Spring Break. If the snow is good you can expect some rather long lift lines around the base of the mountains. Look for a resort that has decent runs that don't end up at the main parking area so you won't spend two thirds of your time in line. Actually, if you are skiing as a single, you can usually slide through in the singles line as long as too many people aren't abusing it.

Brad

16. BradleyS.

BradleyS. Stunt Coordinator

I'll second the vote for glenwood springs. I went there for my first ski trip and was very happy with the experience. It seemed to have fairly nice runs and I had no lift lines to wait in.

17. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Van-

I would suggest planning to drive allt he way throught he Rockies on I-70 and stopping along the way. In March you don't want to mess around with the smaller mountain passes (esp since you aren't used to the area's weather), and the views from I-70 and stop offs are excellent.

Loveland ski area is one of the first resorts you will hit about 45 mins out of Denver, great ski place for beginning and lessons. Furhter in you have Brenenridge, Copper Mountain, Keystone, Vail, Aspen, and then the western slope runs (Snowmass, ...)

As mentioned earlier a stop at Gelnwood Springs (off I-70) is a really good idea. Olympic oversized swimming pool fed by hot springs and not too expensive. It is also a quick hop from Glenwood to Aspen, which is a really fun place to either ski or just check out. Lots of night life in Apsen.

Hiking might be difficult in March without snowshoes. And even with them, Avalanches, wildlife, exposure, and such can be a factor in the mountains if you two get off trail or get some weather.

And always check the weather report every single day in the Rockies. You do not want to get caught out in a snowstorm unprepared up there. It's safe enough, just be sure to know what to expect those days.

You'll have a blast, enjoy it.