What's new

Best places to buy DVDs in Eugene and Portland? (1 Viewer)

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
I am going on a trip to Oregon this weekend, and I was wondering about where I can find the best prices on DVDs in Eugene and Portland. Thanks!

eric holm

Stunt Coordinator
I usually goto Fry's in Wilsonville (12 miles south of Portland on I-5) or Best Buy in Beaverton (8 miles west of Portland)

Fry's has the best selection but BB is still good.

Best Buy seems to have the best New Arrival Prices but Fry's has some good sale prices as well. Pricing on everything else is the same.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I agree with Eric.....Best Buy or Fry's. I can be found in Best Buy every tuesday and at least 3 other days of every week. Needless to say, they all know me there.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Giving away all my secrets... I shouldn't be doing this, but here goes:

If you want a one-stop megastore, go to Fry's. Insanely good selection, prices comparable to Best Buy/Circuit City. Be prepared to spend hours there.

Fred Meyer stores sometimes have good deals, but selection is typically limited to high-profile releases (i.e., don't expect to find Criterions or Tromas).

There are several Borders around town, they sometimes have good prices.

If you want bargains...

1) Fantastic Flea Market on 195th and Stark, in Gresham. New movies for $12-13, 2-disc sets usually $15. Best deals on box sets anywhere.

2) There's two pawn shops at 80th & Foster. Both have good selections of major releases for $15, 2-disc sets usually $20. Decent prices on box sets (ST:TNG S1 for $85).

3) "A-1 Hawk" stores. One at 122nd & Division, one at about 160th & Stark, one down in Milwaukie. Great prices. I got a Sorrow and the Pity there for $10. (Last time I checked, they had two more of those!). I've picked up Criterions there for $12. They pretty much have no idea of what things are worth.

4) "CD/Game Exchange" stores. One around Broadway & 30th, one at 122nd & Division, one at 35th & Hawthorne, one way out on Burnside at about 225th or so, and one in Hillsboro that I've never been to. Used DVDs, lots of them.

5) "Home Video Library" has GREAT prices on used discs. Division Street, at approximately 160th.

Those five are part of my usual weekend shopping sprees. I also occasionally go to the Lloyd Center mall, where the EB and Babbages have used discs (rarely anything I want, though). There's a couple of Wherehouses (one across from Clackamas Town Center, one on 82nd near Powell) which sometimes have good prices on used stuff (usually not, though). "Everyday Music" (24th & Sandy, downtown at 14th & Burnside, Beaverton) has good prices on used, but kind of a poor selection. There's another flea market right by Home Video Library, but it seems like most of the DVD vendors have abandoned it.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I thought of a few more:

There's a Chinese video rental place called "NTV" on 82nd, near Division. They have some Region 0 DVDs for sale -- but CHECK to make sure you're not getting a VCD or a bootleg. I bought some Jackie Chan DVDs there and had to take half of them back because they didn't have the English subtitles.

Washington Square Mall has an EB and Babbages, but like Lloyd Center, they rarely have anything worthwhile for a good price.

Most pawn shops are generally going to be a waste of time. The only exceptions I've found are the ones I mentioned above (A-1 Hawk, and the two on 80th and Foster). There's also a pawn near the A-1 Hawk in Milwaukee that has a decent selection, but prices are only average. Also near there is a video store that sells DVDs. I haven't been down that way for a long time, but I'm thinking of hitting the Milwaukee area this weekend.

Django's in downtown Portland (near Powell's Books) has some great deals on used DVDs.

You didn't say where you're from, but if you don't already know: stay away from Sam Goody, Suncoast, Barnes & Noble and Tower. They may have good selections, but the prices are ridiculously high.

EDIT: I keep thinking of more places! There's a video store on 82nd and Stark (next to the McD's) that has very good prices and both new and used. They have a table at Fantastic Flea Market where they sell stuff for a couple dollars less, but of course the flea market is only on the weekends.

And here's a guide to the DVD vendors at Fantastic Flea Market:

1) Right as you enter and pay your dollar to get in, the aforementioned table will be right in front of you. Most discs $12-15, some used/cheapos for $10, and a nice selection of box sets/special editions in the glass case.

2) Turn left from this table, walk past the guy with all the video games, and you'll see another DVD table. Same kinda prices, occasionally a disc will be slightly cheaper here (like some 2-disc sets for $13). He has some adult DVDs as well, if that's your thing.

3) Head back to the first table, and then turn left (towards the back of the building). About halfway down this row you'll see another table. I just about never get anything here because the selection/prices are rarely any different than the other two. Adult DVDs are around the side of the table.

4) Go back to table #1 again, turn left and enter the next "room". In the middle is a guy with a bunch of stuff, including DVDs. He's new, and I don't really remember what his selection or prices are like. I think he had "Ultimate Fights" for $8, that's all I remember.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Hey Gary ... just wondering how your trip was? Find any good deals?

I haven't been out shopping for a couple weeks now. I'm low on cash, and frankly I have WAY too many DVDs to watch as it is.

Gavin_L

Second Unit
just wondering how your trip was? Find any good deals?
oh i always love when i go down to portland, i always stock up on dvds, because of the lovely no sales tax and also oregon is a beautiful place. just say in the last few years I've saved a good amount of money :)
hoping to move down there sometime in the next few years :)

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
When I was passing through the Portland area, I did manage to stop at Fry's in Wilsonville. You're right; they have a great selection. However, the prices were significantly higher than those back home (Vancouver area of British Columbia); we Canadians really have it good when it comes to DVD prices!

I did find one bargain when I was in Eugene. I went into a place in the downtown area (I think it was called "CD & Game Exchange") and I found a very slightly used Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One set for $65. That's considerably cheaper than anything I've been able to find anywhere, so I picked it up. I'd say that the trip was a success, DVD-wise.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Yeah, CD/Game Exchange is a great local chain. I just bought The Matrix Revisited there for $5, and Shiri for $14. I didn't know they had a store in Eugene. Nice score you got there, wish it had been mine! :) I still haven't seen ST:TNG sets anywhere for under $85.
For you other Portland people: get to Home Video Library ASAP. They're selling off ALL their rental DVDs to make more space for TVs and stuff. I just found out about it today and I'm bummed about all the great deals I probably missed... but here's what I managed to scoop up:
The Straight Story
Lagaan
Strictly Ballroom
My Dinner With Andre
Grosse Point Blank
Waking Life
Carnival of Souls (the ONLY Criterion they had left, which sucks because I know they used to have tons of them)
...all for $76.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks