Best placement for rear speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Cook, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

My system isn't hooked up yet, but I was wondering what is the best location for the rears. From what I have read here, you want them ear level or slightly above ear level. They will be located on each end of the sofa, which is against the wall. Do I want the speakers even with where I sit or back behind me? If they are supposed to be behind me, I would assume that I want the speakers to sit a little higher than the back of the sofa? Also, aren't you supposed to have those speakers facing each other?

Thanks

2. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I have my B&W 601S2's mounted on my rear wall, about 11 feet back, 7 feet up the wall. They are toed-in, criss-crossed with my mains, and aimed at a spot about 4 feet in front of me. I absolutely love this setup. I watched Pearl Harbor last night, and you could NOT pinpoint the speakers without turning around and looking directly at them. Bullet's were a-flyin' all around me!

Pete

3. Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan Stunt Coordinator

I will assume that your rear speakers are direct radiating and not dipole.

If you can place them slightly behind the couch, I think you would like it better than just on either side of the couch. Keep them a little higher than ear level and toe them in to point at the center of the couch.

The best thing to do is experiment. As long as you're using stands and not mounting them on a wall, you have the luxury of mobility and being able to try several locations.

Keep moving untill you find the spot you really like.

4. Michael Cook

Thanks Anthony, that was what I was looking for. The stands I am buying are 28-42" adjustable so I have some flexibility. Is it commmon to toe the front speakers in also. They won't be as far apart as the rears.

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Here's a good link on how to set them up from this site's archives. It really is a nice description of what works best, with nicely done illustrations. It is similar to what I've seen on sites that manufacture speakers. Obviously, everyone can't duplicate the ideal setup, so you just strive to get it as close as possible given your circumstances.
    Link:http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=26725

6. Michael Cook

Here is what I am trying to decide on my fronts and center channel. THis is what I have to work with.
    [​IMG]
    For the left and right fronts, I have two options the way I see it. I can move the entertainment center about 1 foot to the left and put the right speaker right next to the entertainment center, or I can put the right speaker on the right side of the bedroom door and the left one halfway between the entertainment center and wall. The center channel can fit on top of the TV or on top of the entertainment center. I'm thinking it would be best on top of the TV. Any suggestions?

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    There are certain questions that pop up all the time and this is one of them.

I always preferred direct radiating speakers behind and not by the sides. When you watch onscreen action and objects move from the front to rear (or vise versa), it is more desireable to have the sound move from the front to the rear also (and not the sides). It becomes distracting to me when this is so. Dipoles don't apply to this situation. I also like a lot of breathing room in the back. After all, you would not want your front speakers 1 foot away from your seating location. The rears should be given some space also (if possible) to help with imaging.