Best Place to Purchase SACDs

Discussion in 'Music' started by Perry Jonkheer, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Hello,

I have never purchased a SACD and would love to get into it...

What is the best place to purchase these discs? I would prefer B&M, but if online is way cheaper then I guess that is ok as well.

Also, any recommendations on which one to start off with? I pretty much like all kinds of music except for country and rap.

Thanks,

PJ

2. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

You just have to go visit a few stores in your area and see what they've got.

Here in Albuquerque, Best Buy has the best SACD selection, followed by Borders Books. But in other cities those same chains have really meager selections or may not even carry hi-res music. Hastings and Circuit City used to have a rack or two also, but their inventories have gone way down (not sure Circuit City even carries SACD any more). Some people have mentioned Tower Records also (we don't have one in Albuquerque).

3. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

Circuit City has around 1200 titles online in the DVD-A and SACD formats. Pretty decent prices along with free shipping.

www.amusicdirect.com has much better selection but few bargains.

4. Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine Stunt Coordinator

Was nosing around on Overstock.com and did an SACD search. They have a few titles that appear to have competitive prices. Not a fantastic selection, but you might find something you're looking for. definitely worth a check.

For an example: I got the Bob Dylan SACD set earlier this year for about $170. However, I think It's sold out from them but not really sure.

5. AricB

AricB Second Unit

In your area Perry, try the BB at foxvalley, its OK, but I find the newer BB's at Downers on 56, and Batavia/Geneva on Randall to have a better selection. I've also heard Sam Goody in the mall may have some, but they are much more expensive...

recommended sacds, these are all 5.1 surround, i dont personally own any stereo only:
    David Bowie-Heathen
    Beck-sea change
    steely dan-gaucho
    diana krall-girl in the other room
    NIN-the downward spiral
    Elton John-GBYBR
    Snow Patrol-Final Straw
    Joe Satriani-strange beautiful music
    billy joel-the stranger
    pink floyd-DSOTM
    Miles Davis-kind of blue
    elvis costello-north

I'm only recommending the ones I think sound good to great, I own others. All depends on your taste.

Perry, do you have a 5.1 set up or are you looking for stereo only?

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Consider some of the Rolling Stones hybrids, Let It Bleed and Hot Rocks are lovely for rolling bollos...

Busted Buy always has a bad selection of SA-CD's (hybrids) and SACD's (single-layer, no CD layer). Their prices are decent for what they have, generally.

The Kinks have a bunch of hybrids out and more to come. I haven't seen them at BB yet, here. Bowie has several albums worth a peek.

Some of my fav Sack-Dee's:

Colleen Sexton's Greatest Find
    Suitcase Pimp's Love Is Grand
    Grant-Lee Phillip's Mobilize
    The Zombies' Greatest Hits
    Derek And The Dominoes' S/T
    Animals' Retrospective
    Isley Brothers' 3 + 3
    Joe Satriani's Strange Beautiful Music
    Jorma Kaukonen's Blue Country Heart
    Alison Krauss'es New Favorite
    Sheryl Crow's The Globe Sessions
    Tower Of Power's Soul Vacation, TOP Live
    Johnny Winter's Greatest Hits
    Stones Let It Bleed
    Aimee Mann's Lost In Space
    Peter Weller's Studio 150

This is, of course, the condensed list. There's a fairly large assortment of SACD's out at this point. I put my rock/R & B/pop titles in order recently and I had one, or more, starting with every letter in alfa-bit except Q, X, and Y [​IMG]

7. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Thanks for all the help guys. This should get me started!

Yes, I do have a 5.1 setup.

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    If you belong to BMG, they have a small SACD selection. Only about 25 titles, but some awesome deals. I just ordered the 3-disc version of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (the one that comes with the Classic Albums series DVD) for $11.99! (Even with the $6.77 shipping, it's a great deal.)

9. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Perry, you are better off going to Amazon, buy.com, or circuitcity.com for sacd. The bestbuy's are usually picked over unless something new comes out like the new Elton Johns. I bought them all at buy.com, with free shipping and when they had a coupon for music.

10. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

Hopefully you'll fare better in stores than those of us looking for DVD-Audios, since beginning of Fall semester, Best Buy hasn't added any stock to their measely selection of DVD-A, and the only other place in this city that carries DVD-A is FYE...and they have 4 titles. Online is always nice, ebay, circuitcity.com has rather good deals, good luck, nothing beats a solid 5.1 recording [​IMG]

11. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I'd also like recommendations for DVD-A shopping in addition to SACD shopping. I will be adding every place mentioned in this thread to my Favorites folder.

The two places I've seen for DVD-A are Amazon and DVD Empire. What irks me, though, is: At both of these places, you click on a title of interest, and an amazing number of them are either Out of Stock or simply discontinued. That's very irritating and discouraging.

12. AricB

AricB Second Unit

Phil, your probably right, but I've had decent luck at the stores that i mentioned in our area, sometimes better than others, but definitely better than the stores near where i work in lagrange and the fox valley ones. But yes online, will be better selection in most cases.

13. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

EricRWem: Definately check out circuitcity.com, about 500 DVD-Audio's or so, any one I was interested in was in stock, and theyre prices are very good, often a few dollars cheaper than even Amazon, damn I wish this format would just catch on already.

14. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Matt, this and the other two fabulous hi-rez formats aren't gonna "catch on already" as long as you have to go to the net for the goods. They aren't gonna catch on as long as cheaper, "competing", CD versions and/or DVD-V, too, nearly always are poised against the new formats. It's no good when your favourite albums must be imported from Japan, U.K., or France at ludicrous prices. It's no good when the buying public has just minimal confidence in the shark-ey (IMO) content providers. Hey, that's the obvious sentiment that fuels this thread, eh?

Sony's acts casually disintrested in SA-CD. We all see that. They make various press releases, yada, yada, yada. We're all anxiously waiting for them to announce that bleeding Sony Music Kompany is going to become fully suppourtive of that other Sony Kompany's playback format, or I am.

If Sony wants to speak to me, say: Boz Scaggs on SA-CD, Santana on SA-CD, Derek Trucks on SA-CD, Keb'Mo' on SA-CD, Edgar Winter on SA-CD, ect. Sony and Philips ought to offer some sort of guarantee to consumers that SA-CD is going to be around 10 years or more. Sony's lack of visable effort, to consumers, to suppourt their own format has led to low consumer confidence and high anxiety. Sure this thread's very existence ablely demonstrates that premise! Besides a great many music buys are impulse purchases.

"...to be or not to be, that is the question..." Sony needs to become more demonstative in visable or tangible ways. "Where's the beef?" [​IMG]

15. Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher Second Unit

Warning, I rant...

Good points Rachael and I wholeheartedly agree, the real problem holding back this aspect of the industry can be defined by 3 stupid, incosiderate characters: M-P-3. Know why DVD caught on? Cause very few people were copying VHS tapes, it was a new alternative that presented, yes high quality and the bs (extras, pretty packaging, etc.), but ultimately it was accessible, because you're dealing with computers and a CD-base in the long run. IMO, DVD-Audio/SACD got introduced too late because MP3 was starting to take over the world, and since you could download anything you wanted for free, why pay for high quality audio? Had DVD-A/SACD been integrated into the initial marketing strategy with DVD-Video, the public could have been pursuaded in the pre-MP3 takeover to not just stick with CD's in the digital age, but to actually upgrade to hi-res. Now, unfortunately, at least in my opinion, hi-res audio will not be adpoted by the public until a new format is released (HD), but it must be something to revolutionize, don't ask me how. I think a second crucial mistake is that there didn't seem to be a very big attempt to integrate these formats into automobiles. I own 1 of I believe the 3 or 4 models ever made that supports DVD-Audio. Acura, in some attempt to be innovative, just recently made DVD-A compatibility standard on their new line of the TL. A great move, 5 years too late, carmakers like Lexus and BMW who use the audio equipment of Mark Levinson and harmon kardon could've really had hi-res take off with the upper-class drivers and it would've trickled down just like a good technology does.

Hopefully most of that made sense, just my opinions.

16. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I feel you in Rachael all the way! [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I have one thing to say: SINGLE INVENTORY HYBRID SACDs!!!!!!

'nuff said.

18. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Me, I wanna see single-inventory hybrids too and I wanna see DVD-A when it's a better choice for a given release. I wanna see Sony and Warner Brudders release each other's formats. A real truce that's benefical to consumers and the major's very selves! I wanna see world peace and everybody eating Kozmic Rice too.[​IMG]