What's new

Best place to mail order games from? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering where everyone shops for the best service and pricing on-line for their video games (PC and Console)?

I'm looking to get C&C Generals and maybe Unreal II, but can't seem to find them below $49.95 from any good source. Best Buy has an ad in the weekend paper for $39.95, but it doesn't seem like they sell PC games on-line, only console games. Also, EB told me the stores only honor the sale coupons in magazines for discounts and NOT on-line web sales. The EB store I went to though for Unreal II was above $49.95 at $54.95 which cut the $10 discount in half. Has anyone else seen EB higher at the store than on-line? This seems to be a game they are playing with customers.

So, that leaves me wondering, whats the best place to shop on-line?

Thanks.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Video games are mostly the same price everywhere when they just come out. Once and a while they may have a sale. The only thing online stores really do now are free shipping deals, preowned game sales and so on. I like to preorder from eboworld.com or gamestop as they ship the games out before the other stores like bestbuy and so on.

capt

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy sells PC games online - just follow the "Software" link on the front page, not the "Video Games" link.

-Dave

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
Dave F:

You're correct, I checked after posting here and found them where you said. This was information I was told at the store and should have checked it first myself.

BestBuy.com did in fact have the games for $39.95 with FREE shipping, which saved me $10 without needing to go to the trouble of coupons with EB stores. If BB can sell them at that price, EB and others need to take a clue.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
www.gexpress.com is probably the best place to get new console games. They usually charge around $43 for new releases. The only bad part about them is that the cheapest shipping is $5.50 and it's slow UPS, but if you order several games from them, then the shipping is actually a real bargain.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I used to make Half accounts and use the $15 off $50 coupons to buy stuff, but now you can't use the same credit card with more than one account. Where can you get Half coupons that aren't "for new customers only"?

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
From what i've seen over the years there is no real good reason to order videogames online. As long as you don't live in the middle of no where you should be able to pick new games up at a local store. When you order online your taking the chance of the shipping getting screwed up and often times your paying the same price if not more than you would at a retail store.

I would only recommend buying online if you truly had no other option to get a particular game. For most of the world that is simply not a problem.

It's also worth noting that you can find some great deals on Ebay. There are times were i've seen games sell for $20 less than there usual price elsewhere. However, you have to be very careful about how much they're charging for shipping. Often times the game might sell for $8 less than normal retail, then they want you to pay $6 for shipping. Well, I don't think that $2 is worth all the trouble. So, just keep that in mind and you might find some great deals on Ebay if you find a good shipping deal.

Dan.b

Joe michaels

Second Unit
EB games has yet to let me down I have ordered two consoles and got them both on launch day. I have also ordered multiple different titles and various accessories.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
There are plenty of good reasons to buy games online. New releases can be had for $5-$10 cheaper if you go to the right places, and not having to pay sales tax usually negates the shipping cost. In fact, if you buy several games at once, shipping will usually be much less than the tax you'd have paid. Then there are always the crazy buy 2 get 1 free sales at Amazon to look out for.

Ebay also has some good savings as well. I bought RE Zero, Metroid Prime, and Splinter Cell pretty soon after they came out at Best Buy. It ended up being something like $162 after tax. Then a couple weeks later, I was able to get the three games brand new on ebay from one seller for a total of $110 shipped, so I returned those for a savings of $52. If that's not a reason to shop online, I don't know what is.

On Half, I'd check several times a day until someone listed a new release game I wanted for $35-$40(gotta be quick because the good deals don't stay up for long). Then I'd pick out a DVD to push it up just over $50, use the $15 coupon, and end up with a brand new game and DVD for under $40 shipped.

In fact, I don't even see a reason to shop at a B&M store unless either they happen to be having a really good sale, or you absolutely must have a game the day it comes out.

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
JamesH:

I couldn't agree more with your comments about buying on-line VS retail stores. Plus a BIG factor for me is that I have a real life job. I'm not a college student or kid that has time to kill in the store. Almost every store I know of, such as EB at the malls has kids packed in there most of the time and lines to check out are VERY long wait. That's why I prefer mail order because it's easy for me to get what I want or return an item than put up with all the people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks