What's new

Best place to get a BFD? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Jim- Cool, thanks for the tip.
Ned- 1100p is 20 bit, 1124p is 24 bit.
For sub freqs, the consensus is that there isn't a big difference. For me, just a case of ~$100 upgradeitis. :)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I bought two BFDs from Lentines and had no problems with them. My friend also bought two from Lentines and he had no problems either.

Seth

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Kevin, Just run down to the guitar center on stevens creek. You should be able to talk them down to $110-120 or so.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Chris,
try a local guitar or pro shop. I found a local store that carries berhinger and picked it up for about $250CAD which was about $10 more than buying it off the internet. Best part is anything goes wrong I don't have to ship.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
OK, so its not hard to find then. Cool. Where'd you pick up yours? Long and McQuade? Steves Music?

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Central Music in Welland Ontario. just a little shop really. They kind of looked at me funny when I told them what it was for.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I know. I'm preparing myself to respond to that look myself. I know the look. Its the "Are you sure you really need this product to do that with you subwoofer?". What do they care, its perfect for the job and they make a sale, right? I am in need of it because my BPS-400 is crazy loud in my room.

So once I get the BFD, will it allow me to put the subwoofer where it fits best (it is really loud and response is uneven there) and then I tame the humps and whatever other response problems? My main problem is my Mirage BPS400 is too big to work smoothly in my 14.5' x 12' room. If I place it in the corner, it sounds like a wet rag and similarly, if I place it where I'd really like to, right between my front speakers, under my TV, its also very loud and standing wave like. I want to use the BFD so that I may place the subwoofer where I want and tame its response to make it sound smooth and tight. Will this work? I have read others here using the BFD on here and I'm wondering if my plans are do-able.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Chris-

you should measure the response in both locations so you have an idea of what's going on first.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I will do that. In fact, I will probably measure the response in a few locations before deciding where to put the subwoofer. Who knows, I might now need the BFD, but after all this time moving the subwoofer around, I am pretty sure I do, I just need to start with a fairly good and convenient location.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Chris- One "rule of thumb" I've heard for sub placement is this:

In a corner is best for raw output, but 1/3 or 2/5 along the longest wall is best for the flattest (natural) freq response.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I measured three different places in my room. I actually settled with the back corner behind my couch. I also using Anthony Gomez's program modeled two curves. one with the rs metre correction and one without. I use the corrected settings for movies and the uncorrected for music.

I gained 9db across the board for corner placement and another 2-3db for moving it behind my couch because it cut the distance away in half. I settled for the place in the room that had the smallest and narrowest nulls. I was down 10db from 76-86hz everywhere but behind the couch. The left front corner boosted 20hz-30hz material 5db compared to the couch placement.

About the BFD the guy told me when I first asked for it that it wasn't a eq.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks