What's new

Best Place to buy Sony SCDC555ES (1 Viewer)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
What is the best place to buy Sony's SACD player? Combo of reliability and price of course. Is Oade Brothers Audio a good reliable place? I have heard prices in the $800s but I'm not sure if they're authorized dealers or not if they aren't is it still wise to order from them? The prices I'm hearing are way below what I can get locally so I'm not certain if it's simply too good to be true.

RicP

Screenwriter
Oade Bros is authorized and a fantastic dealer. I couldn't recommend them more highly.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I have to side with Ric here. Oade gave me spectacular service when I ordered my unit in December. My only gripe? Whomever they use as a shipping agent (not sure if it's UPS or Fed Ex) simply left my $1200 player on my front steps...nobody signed for it. Some J6P could have dropped by and just picked it up. I was pretty pissed but never said anything because I was just happy I got my unit. If Fed Ex is their default carrier, specify UPS or vice versa.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
evan:

in my experience fedex and ups both just drop items on your doorstep without a signature. fedex delivered my mirage frx-7's which i found leaning against my door as i left for work. what's worse is that it was raining and i was inside the whole time. nobody rang the doorbell! just plopped em down for rain to soak half a box that wasn't covered by the porch. ups just two days ago dropped of a pack of jewel cases on my back porch...at least that put it in an inconspicuous place as opposed the fedex. the moral is...both carriers suck!

kevin t

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
JR/6th ave/oades
333 can be had for $450-$499
555 did not call on this one but I would guess at JR for $585.;)
I bought the 333 because I do not need another fancy remote/only difference.;) ;) ;)

J

John Morris

I bought the 333 because I do not need another fancy remote/only difference.
Huh? The 333es is a very nice TWO channel SACD player, was discontinued quite a while ago by Sony, and could be had for under $400 from GoodGuys on the West coast. The 555es is a nice, new MULTI-channel SACD player. The Cheapest price from an authorized dealer that I've seen on this unit is $800+ from both Oade and Onecall, where I bought mine. If you are happy with a 2 channel SACD player, and can still find it(anywhere)for less than $500, the 333es is a very nice sounding unit. Otherwise, I can heartily recommend the 555es SACD player for both SACDs and CD playback.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
J&R has the 555 listed at the MSRP of $1200. I highly doubt when you try to place the order that they knock 53% off MSRP to give you the $585 price Earl.

In fact, I highly doubt they can even come down to the $775 that Onecall and Oade produce. But, it's worth a shot.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Sorry // we are talking about two different units!!!
I was talking about the megachanger 555es and 333es.
Sorry!:frowning:
CDP-M333ES
CDP-M555ES

Edward M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also looking at the SCD 555ES SCAD player.

One question....for those of you who own them and run speakers as "small"....does the 120Hz fixed crossover of the 555 seem to bother you? If it crossed over lower at say, 80Hz i'd be listening to it right now.

Ed

KeithR

Second Unit
J and R will actually beat Oade on the 777ES (though not by much, and I live in NYC which is taxed), and you have a 30 day return policy that no store mentioned has. They will at least match the pricing on the 555 I assume as well, that return policy is very nice, in case you aren't satisfied.
That said, I ordered mine from Oade to avoid tax. It arrives manana ;)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I'm waiting for Jim's replies. (He doesn't reply everyday for some reason) He seems to take quite a bit of time to reply emails so no quick ordering in my case. Just have to be patient I guess.

I don't have the money for the 777 but just out of curiousity how good is the 777 compared to the 555?

JoshK

Agent
Ok, I live in NYC a few block from J&R and was in there this weekend. The 555 is selling for $800 (but they will deal some) the 777 for $2200 (again will deal). FWIW I got my 333 from Goodguys brand new with upgraded 7 year warranty (in OR = no tax) for $289. Got lucky I guess, it was their last one in all of Oregon they said.

Josh

Edward M

Stunt Coordinator
Josh,

If I were to visit J&R in NYC how much of a pain is it to get there and park in the vicinity. I would be coming from Hoboken NJ. Also...what is the sales tax in NYC?

Thanks!

Ed

JoshK

Agent
Park near behind the J&R next to the hospital, it isn't very expensive to park there. Sales tax is 8.25% I believe (ouch).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks