What's new

best place to buy receivers (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
Cheapest? Shady New York based dealers, who may or may not have the receiver, but no difficulty charging your credit card. Look for a place where a salesman has to call you back and offer to upsell you additional items before they can finalize the order. And if you don't bite on the upsell then your receiver is mysteriously 'out of stock', despite the fact they charged your card.

Best, cheapest? I'm partial to Vanns since they're also up here in the upper Midwest. I hear J&R is good. Google searches for specific brand and model numbers can turn up otions. But wherever you go, make sure they are an authorized dealer, in case you run into warranty issues. This can be more important for some brands than others.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Amazon.com is hard to beat for price. A lot of people use them. They are a factory authorized dealer for a lot of brands too, so you get the full warranty. I bought my Onkyo from them, and am very happy with the price and how quick I got it. Some people like Newegg.com also. I have bought some printer ink from them before, but never any HT gear.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I try and use Costco whenever I can for the return policy. The prices are generally good too. Selection, not so much.

Amazon has the best combination of price and selection, as long as you aren't trying to get the absolute best deal. One thing to watch for with Amazon is that the price will often fluxuate wildly over a matter of days. I presume they are reacting to a flurry of searches and/or purchases. Just recently I had a sound bar I was looking at go from $240, to $300, to $260, and back to $240 in a matter of 6 days. So set you price point and watch for a while before you purchase. Returning items through Amazon has been easy for me also.

I've used J&R often, usually when I'm trying to find something hard to get; they're probably the best for selection. Their prices are about average. Customer service is solid.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Online, I've had good experiences with Amazon and J&R Music World, but Newegg is probably my favorite!

Also check out the Onkyo factory outlet if you're thinking of an Onkyo:

http://www.shoponkyo.com/products_refurb.cfm?specials=1&group_id=1

Some people might not like refurbished units, but I've bought many refurbs and never had a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks