What's new

Best place to buy quality affordable cables? (1 Viewer)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I am at a toss up myself..I need some dvd-a cables, and have looked at bluejeancables, and rhino cables...

BJ uses 89259 and canare for 85 bucks + shipping

Rhino uses 89259 and vampire connectors for 150 bucks + shipping

Any thoughts or is there something else I should look at for DVD-A cables? vampire vs canare for audio...is there THAT much difference in connectors and the 2 cable makers above? Thanks all! tl

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
How do you guys think the AR Pro cables would stand with the custom makers
That is a bit of a over-simplistic question Alex. There is a big difference between using these for a subwoofer or coaxial-digital connection, and a component-video connection pushing 1080i video to a over-head projector onto a 100" screen.

The AR Pro cables are very good for the money. I would not hesitate to outfit an entire system with them. But if the system included a HDTV with a large display (greater than 50") or used a video source higher than a progressive-scan DVD player (480p) - I'd go with the custom sites for the component-video cables.

You CAN get away with them for HD use - they will work and you will be in awe over the great picture. But neither AR or Monster say anywhere that their component cables are "HD Compatible".

Mark Rich

Second Unit
TommyL
Yes there is a big difference between the two cables (89259) using different connectors. The Canare crimp on RCA's are great for video, digital and even subwoofer use but a poor choice for analog audio. Most custom cable makers went away from using them because of this a long time ago. The advantage to the custom cable maker is they can be assembled in a few minutes with very little skill. The cost of the connectors is another factor as the Vampires cost 3-4 times as much.
Rhino has a higher level of finish as well. Not very important to some but to others...
A better comparison to the rhino cables would be from Signal and Heartland Cables.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Well the screen will be 55" but I wont be using HDef cable. I will however have a progressive scan DVD player. Are you saying that the AR Pro cables can't output anything over 480p? Do you need the custom cables for that? I thought that this was done through the equipment.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Mark, so why would BJC sell canare for audio? *shakes head* Also..being it is such a short run, I had the notion that 89259 is a stiff cable at this length...is this a problem? How is heartland quality/price vs rhino? I'll have to check them out:) thanks much! tom

Mark Rich

Second Unit
TommyL,

Why does BJC sell Canare? My guess would be higher profit, less labor reqd to assemble. You can make a set of these cables using Canares without any cosmetic treatment (tech-flex) in about 5-10 minutes versus probably an hour for soldered and dressed cables.
Heartland has only started selling these cables with soldered connectors (Bullet connectors) in the last month or so its hard to say how they would compare. Rhino has been producing these for well over a year to the best of my knowledge.
FWIW: I like Bullet connectors and they may offer slightly better sound than the Vampires but I'd probably go with a good quality metal RCA connector. I have both types of connectors in my system. The downside of slightly better sound (possibly)is Bullet connectors are more fragile because of the plastic barrel and cover.
Yes, belden 89259 is a little stiff but I've never found it a problem.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Well, I just placed a sizable order with www.heartlandcables.com after getting some test cables in the arena of component, digital coax, and audio interconnects with bullet plugs. The bullet plugs are real nice. Dan Kaps from Heartland has just been an outstanding person to deal with. He is making me some custom lengths and working with me on cost somewhat as my order reaches well into the hundreds price range. I feel so strongly about the value and customer service he provides to bring this thread back from limbo to let everyone know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks