Best Place to Buy DVD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike H Wizard, May 24, 2002.

1. Mike H Wizard

Mike H Wizard Stunt Coordinator

Where in your opinion is the best place to buy DVD's?

2. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Suncoast Video

3. Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips Second Unit

4. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

For stores in the real world, my only choice is Media Play. Their prices are pretty close to list, usually only about $3 under unless they are on sale, but sometimes I absolutely positively have to have something right then. Mostly they carry mainstream titles but I have been impressed with some of the more obscure titles I've found there.

For online I always use dvdempire. They aren't the cheapest, but their customer service is worth it. They're also located only one state away from me so my movies arrive quickly.

5. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Which online places get DVD's to you by the day they are released. I think I'd like to use The Laser's Edge since they are a HTF supporter but I dont know if they get them to you on their release date.

Thanks,
    -Marshall

6. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

I have had good success with www.buy.com Prices are good and they get them to me quickly.

7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

The only B&M store that I use is Best Buy. Most of the other retail outlets are too expensive(too close to list price)I buy 95%+ of my DVDs online from DVDEmpire & DDD.

8. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

For real world stores I found that the only place to go is Best Buy. There prices are cheaper then pretty much any other real world store and there selection is great.(I have heard that this varies bye location though).
    Online I love Deep Discount DVD. They have free shipping, great prices, and for free shipping it is reasonably fast.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

DVD Empire gets the lion's share of my business--superb prices, extra-superb customer service, and ontime delivery (usually the day before street date). Afterward, I buy from Laser's Edge.

10. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

The important thing when B&M shopping is to know what the MSRP is. Best Buy usually has decent prices, but occasionally Circuit City will crush them on certain titles. Suncoast can be ok for new releases as sometimes they'll have the same price as BB and if your a Replay member you can get points.
    I don't buy online nearly as much as I used to, but when I was heavy into it I used lots of places. DVD Planet, DVD Empire, Digital Eyes, DDD, Best Prices and Amazon were all ok for me, although Amazon's pricing has been sucking for most titles lately. I found that as long as you preordered at least 4-6 weeks before release that Buy.com was great for stuff, but if you pre-ordered late it might take up to a month past the release date. That may have changed though, I haven't used them for about 8 months. DVD Express used to be my favorite, but they've pretty much sucked for a year and a half to two years. Maybe there new ownership can straigten things out. A good place to check online prices is http://www.dvdpricesearch.com
    For HK titles try http://www.dddhouse.com , for Japanese titles try http://www.cdjapan.co.jp and for UK (R2 PAL) titles try http://www.blackstar.co.uk

11. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I was in Best Buy today looking for "20 Million Miles to Earth". It was not in stock. The blue shirt check his computer & it was not in stock anywhere in the COUNTRY. I told him that considering the somewhat obscure titles that I see on the shelves that this was odd not to stock this well known Harryhausen title. The blue shirt proceeded to tell me (Believe what he says or not!)that Best Buy is going to quit carrying in store a wide selection of titles & pretty much go with only most well known titles. Sort of a Top 20 only. I smell the death of catalog titles in B&Ms. If this is to be the case then my B&M purchases will dwindle to ZERO!

12. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

13. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Time will tell, especially since I do not believe not the blue shirts are THAT well informed.

14. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

For catalog titles I have been going to Borders. Their prices are very comparable to Best Buy. However, I wasn't able to find The Great Race at Borders or Best Buy. Maybe the internet companies will be able to survive by carrying the catalog titles that Best Buy doesn't carry.

15. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Best Buy or DVD Planet for real stores. DDD, Dvd Planet or the empire for online purchases

16. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Best Buy, DDD, & DVD Empire are the most popular choices simply because they all have great prices and good customer service except maybe Best Buy [​IMG]