Best Place To Buy Bass Shakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ty s, Feb 13, 2002.

1. ty s

ty s Auditioning

Where can you find a deal on these things? also, is the 25watt shaker the way to fly or should I be thinking largers?

Thanks

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

SmartHome has them for $120/pair for the 50W or $110/pair for the 25W here. I've looked at other places that sell them and couldn't find a better deal.
    Since these aren't power hungry you'll need an amp. And if you don't have a crossover then some kind of low-pass filter. For my bass shakers (home made, not Aura) I just use the subwoofer output from my receiver sent to an old stereo amp.

3. Chuck_C

Chuck_C Stunt Coordinator

You can pick up a pair of 25w Aura Shakers on eBay for about $35 to 45 plus shipping. I have a pair of these 4 ohm transducers mounted in a love seat wired in series to get 8 ohms and hooked up to a old receiver. They work great.

4. ty s

ty s Auditioning

For a 6.5 foot length couch how many would you suggest using?

thanks

5. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    You might also check uBid. I picked up a pair of the 25w Aura shakers for $5 net (after a $20 off $20 coupon) about six months ago.

Two is more than enough for me, but considering that I have them mounted to a metal futon frame (which is about 6.5' in length), I think the shaking may be a bit more violent than a normal couch would be.

Would it be worth it to attach one pair to the back of the couch and another pair to the underside of the couch, I wonder?

6. Chuck_C

Chuck_C Stunt Coordinator

Two would probably work for the futon. Do you have any other couch or chairs that you would want wired? Two sets of shakers each wired in series would work nicely hooked up to each side (L&R) of an amp at 8 ohms per side.

7. ty s

ty s Auditioning

I was thinking about doing 3 on our 6.5 foot long couch and one on the love seat.