Best Place in Your Opinion to Get a DirecTivo?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike-M, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M Stunt Coordinator

I've done my fair share of research, but I'd figure I'd come here because I know a lot of people have this.

I'm looking for a DirecTV receiver and a Tivo in one machine (hence, DirecTivo).

I'm wondering where you all bought yours, and what price you paid?

Since you get both in one, do the channels flip slower than they would on a DirecTV only receiver?

When I go to the store, will the box literally just say "DirecTivo" on it? If it just says Tivo, but has a DirecTV logo on it, is that okay, not as good, or just the same?

Any other info would be great!

2. MikeSh

MikeSh Stunt Coordinator

Mike, there is a number of places to get these. BB, CC, Valuelectronics.com, abtelectronics.com and many more. I bought my 2nd one from abt. Got a fair price, free shipping and fast service. This was back in Feb.

There are currently 2 models that I am aware of. The Hughes HDVR2, which I have 2 of and the newly released Phillips model, model # which I currently forget....Sorry.

Another good source of info on this very topic is:

www.tivocommunity.com

Look there under the DirectTivo category and you will find a number of suppliers mentioned, mostly good. There is at least one site that people have reported a number of problems with. Look for it too.

MikeS.

3. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

If you're a current DirecTV subscriber there's an offer to get a DirecTiVo with installation for $199 (+ shipping).....a very good deal, IMO.

Vin

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Vin,
    It's $159+$25 s/h + free installation for the Friends and Family special offer. When ordering use the coupon FFDVR.

-Robert

5. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

6. BenPen

BenPen Auditioning

I got my Hughes model about a year and a half ago, and I love it. It's the silver one, I think 40 hours, and it has been flawless. I paid 100 bucks for it at Best Buy, which was a damn good deal.

7. Christopher~O

Christopher~O Stunt Coordinator

If you want to have some real fun with your TiVo consider a series 1 like a Sony SAT-T60 or a Philips DSR6000 - they don't make them anymore so your best bet is eBay. They cost a little more but are infinately more customizable if you will.

8. Jeff Lehr

Jeff Lehr Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if this offer would also apply to an area served by Pegasus (NRTC)? I didn't see anything on the DirectTV site with a disclaimer to that effect.
    Also, can you elect to install yourself, or must you set up an installation appointment?
    Thanks,

JL

9. Jeff Lehr

Jeff Lehr Stunt Coordinator

Never mind...
    After doing a bit of research, it appears it's nearly impossible to get DirectTivo service in a NRTC area.
    Unless you don't mind jumping through a few hoops and getting a bit creative with the truth about where you live.

JL