What's new

Best Pictures on and not on Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
battlebeast said:
Warners has the best chance to do this; They have a great deal of nominees they could release, but their excuse is that these films need lots of work before they can be released. (Does anyone really care for Bomba: the Jungle Boy over something like Test Pilot, Disreali or The Story of Louis Pasteur, two of them being Best Actor winners?

Just wondering.
More popular titles will have had more prints struck and be in worse condition. Something like Bomba the Jungle Boy probably has only had two or three printing periods, the initial print creation and whenever new prints were made to sell it to television or home video. That means Bomba is probably in a far better place than Best Picture assets that have probably been periodically accessed much more frequently.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Having read thru this thread three complete times, I can see where a lot of hope is there for titles that we all think should already be out. But it feels as if the studios are throwing us a curve ball, Bomba, great analogy, now what if it had been the first Weissmuller Tarzan or all 12 for that matter, would you feel as upset about that. Or for the fact that it seems more often than not that Europe gets more love from the studios in the form of classic releases that the United States. And in all honesty I don’t think that is so, from all the studios involved, sure some have releases that two years later are making a US release, (Sunrise).

But the facts remain that the business model is changing every day, stores that fail to carry physical media (Best Buy). I walked into best buy in Jacksonville FL, on Tuesday looking for this week’s releases, not a single copy of The Right Stuff or any of the James Dean Digibooks, what does this tell you, so I checked Wal-Mart and nothing there as well. The hard part is that a lot of stores don’t or won’t carry these titles anymore because they are trying to free up store space, except when it comes time for black Friday.

This week, and the last week alone we have had completely amazing announcements, for those of us that love classic films; between what Twilight Time has in store, what Criterion has plans for now that they have Sony as an upcoming distributer, WB while taking its time, does amazing things, Fox is on a roll, and the classics that Sony releases are amazing. The best part of all of this is that what they are releasing via secondary distribution is up to the same great standards ie (Mill Creek) Sony double features, bare bones, yes but it’s the damn feature that matters.

Between the independents we are getting titles released that I would think would never see the light of day. Am I bummed that all the Best Picture winners are not out her in the US yet. Yes and no, with a caveat, and that is the pain that this year has added to my bank account, no one ever said that this hobby was cheap. I am not complaining, no one forces me to buy anything, but well if it a great film and I want to see it proper, then you make that choice.

As of the moment I think I have every best picture Oscar winner that has been released on blu on my shelf, the ones that are not out yet, would be welcomed, but I would want them done correctly, and I honestly feel that there may be other films more deserving of the proper treatment first. The bulk of what is left missing is in control of WB.

Aside from that, what bugs me the most is where are titles that have gotten love in Europe, with no US counterpart as of yet, The Lost Weekend, Double Indemnity, Touch of Evil, wow looks like Universal dropped the ball, or these will get a release via Criterion?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
dana martin said:
This week, and the last week alone we have had completely amazing announcements, for those of us that love classic films; between what Twilight Time has in store, what Criterion has plans for now that they have Sony as an upcoming distributer, WB while taking its time, does amazing things, Fox is on a roll, and the classics that Sony releases are amazing. The best part of all of this is that what they are releasing via secondary distribution is up to the same great standards ie (Mill Creek) Sony double features, bare bones, yes but it’s the damn feature that matters.
Not to me. The Picture is the most important thing, yes, but I want a delux package with lots of Bonus Features. Bonus features make the Blu Ray something special. I don't just want some cheep bare-bones package. I'm paying all that money, I want to get my money's worth!

And as for The UK, I have found a way to (Alegedly) turn my PS3 into a region free player; if it work, SCORE! I can start getting all the best Blus from the UK.

Would I love to see them all released in NA? YES! Am I mad they won't release them? YES. Am I mad Warners RE-releases GwtW and Oz every five years and Trader Horn toils in obscurity? YES! (Heck, 7th Voyage Productions apparently made a documentary about the making of the film with the late Harry Carry, Jr., and would be amazing to see on a trader Horn disc. Do you think this will ever happen? probably not. Why? Because Warner Archives is more worried about Alice, Cheyenne, and Bomba.

When they first started, the archives released several great Nominees, but since then, almost nothing.

All I ask is for some of those to be released.

And as for going to s store and buying the physical product, I know what you mean. Not one store in my city has a copy of The Best Years of Our Lives or The Right Stuff. It makes me mad. I wanted to watch the latter this weekend, but now I can't and have to wait until my weekend next thursday (hopefully, if it arrives).

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
battlebeast said:
Not to me. The Picture is the most important thing, yes, but I want a delux package with lots of Bonus Features. Bonus features make the Blu Ray something special. I don't just want some cheep bare-bones package. I'm paying all that money, I want to get my money's worth!
I view things very differently. The movie is worth my money. The high-definition image and sound are what make BDs special. I'm a movie lover first, a collector second. All those bells and whistles wouldn't even exist without the main feature - the movie.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Cremildo said:
I view things very differently. The movie is worth my money. The high-definition image and sound are what make BDs special. I'm a movie lover first, a collector second. All those bells and whistles wouldn't even exist without the main feature - the movie.
that is sort of what I was saying, for $5.00 I got Ship of Fools, and you know what bonus features it came with, Lilith not bad, and up to Sony's standards for that price, no need to complain.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
battlebeast said:
All I ask is for some of those to be released.
Write them a letter and they'll probably respond on their podcast. they read every letter they get (hint they don't get many letters)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I remember reading some time back, maybe a year or two, that Tom Jones was slated for BD release. But can't remember from whom, or when or even which region. Any news on the Tom Jones front? My wife keeps asking me ..... and I think it's a great movie too.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Twilight Time has announced their March/April 2014 titles.

ALL THE KING'S MEN (1949) BLU-RAY - March 10th

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
battlebeast said:
Warners has the best chance to do this; They have a great deal of nominees they could release, but their excuse is that these films need lots of work before they can be released. (Does anyone really care for Bomba: the Jungle Boy over something like Test Pilot, Disreali or The Story of Louis Pasteur, two of them being Best Actor winners?

Just wondering.
I for one enjoy the BOMBA films and pushed WAC to release the two volumes, just as I am asking for the Dr. Kildare film series, which they said would be here early next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks