Best Picture Winners that You Haven't Seen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jan H, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

As an adjunct to the Crackademy Awards tourney, I thought it would be cool to ask for a list of 5 Best Picture Oscar-winning films that you are either proud or ashamed to admit you've never seen. Mitty and Evan are exempted, of course.

My 5:

1. The Best Years of Our Lives - Both
    2. The Life of Emile Zola - proud
    3. Broadway Melody - proud
    4. Cavalcade - proud
    5. Gentleman's Agreement - ashamed

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I've only seen Around the World in Eighty Days, Lawrence of Arabia, Gone With The Wind, Ben-Hur, A Beautiful Mind, Amadeus, Forrest Gump, It Happened One Night, Casablanca, Oliver!, The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, and Rocky.

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Jan,

I'm just curious. Why would you be proud of not having seen a movie?

And more specifically, what about Emile Zola (a fine film) makes you proud not to have seen it?

4. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

I've heard very mixed things about Zola. In fact, George, yours is the first [​IMG] opinion that I've heard. If you think it's good, though, I'll give it a shot. I say "proud" because the criticisms that I've read about the others is that they are over-produced, Hollywood monstrosities that should never have been nominated in the first place. Best Years of our Lives is a film that I've meant to get around to see, but I've heard it's very dated and melodramatic, though the story of men returning from WWII is intriguing. As for Gentleman's Agreement, I really would like to see that.

5. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

6. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

And so is The Best Years of Our Lives....Gentleman's Agreement OTOH [​IMG]
    I don't know if "proud" is the right word, but I don't plan on seeing Out of Africa anytime in the next 10 years.
    I'm not ashamed about it, but I haven't gotten around to Ordinary People yet.
    Haven't seen, but would like to:
    The Life of Emile Zola
    Broadway Melody

7. Rain

Rain Producer

8. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Ashamed:
    The English Patient
    Driving Miss Daisy
    Out of Africa
    Gandhi
    In The Heat of the Night
    Proud:
    Oliver!
    - I'll be damned if I watch anything with an exclamation point in the title. [​IMG]
    How Green Was My Valley
    - 1. It beat Citizen Kane 2. It sounds like a sob fest. Boo hoo hoo, there goes the farm.....
    Chariots of Fire
    - The greatest thing this film ever did was create the one shining moment for the Griswolds before they made it to Wally World. Otherwise, this thing beat Raiders of the Lost Ark.

9. Rain

Rain Producer

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’ve not seen:
    1.The Broadway Melody
    2.Cavalcade
    3.You Can’t Take it With You
    4.In the Heat of the Night

I’m neither proud nor ashamed to have missed these. But I can say for certain that I wasted my time on some that I have seen.

11. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

I've seen every one (as Jan alluded to):

'Emile Zola' and 'Best Years' are both very good, 'Broadway Melody' and 'Cavalcade' are just sorta there, and 'Gentlemen's Agreement' is a lousy, hit-me-over-the-head-with-a-hammer message movie that has dated badly.

I would rate Gentlemen's Agreement right up there with Gladiator, Cimarron, Greatest Show, etc. as lousy BP winners. It's downright embarassing in retrospect.

12. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Well I still haven't seen Kramer vs Kramer, Ordinary People and Terms of Endearment to tell the truth I haven't got this overriding urge to ever see any of them, just not interested.
    Golden oldies I've missed include Going My Way and Mrs.Miniver.

13. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Terms of Endearment is one I avoided like the plague until I was in my twenties.
    It actually caught me off guard; yes the ending is a tear jerker, but what nobody told me is that it's actually pretty funny for much of it's length. The relationship between Jack Nicholson and Shirley MacLaine is priceless. It's not as sappy and maudlin as I'd been led to believe.
    Of course, the most famous scene (Shirley MacLaine screaming at the uncaring hospital staff) is pretty shameless, but it's not representative of the whole movie.
    Not an Oscar winner (although it was a nominee), but one such movie I've never seen is Love Story, brought to my attention, yet again, by the terrific Robert Evan's bio-doc The Kid Stays in the Picture.

14. Rain

Rain Producer

15. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Rain, you wannabe film snob, you listed a whole slew of great movies that you haven't seen yet, I would think they should be numero uno must sees, not the soapy tear jerkers I listed.[​IMG]

16. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Well, I've seen most of the BP winners. I'm glad I saw each of them, even the godawful Gladiator. Hey, ya never know until you actually see it!

My comments on some of the films discussed already:

The Life of Emile Zola is a great movie.

The Best Years of Our Lives is a great movie.

How Green Was My Valley - Not better than Citizen Kane, but very good on its own terms.

The English Patient - I love this movie and can't understand the disdain some people have for it. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but that doesn't make it a bad movie. Yeesh!

Rain, I kind of envy you - you've got some great movies to look forward to!

17. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

18. David Dennison

David Dennison Second Unit

I agree with Rain on this one. I may not be looking forward to a few of the "overrated" Best Picture winners, but I intend to watch every one at some point and do not feel proud to have not seen any of them.

Here is my list to see:

Wings
    The Broadway Melody
    Cimarron
    Grand Hotel
    Cavalcade
    The Great Ziegfeld
    You Can't Take It with You
    How Green Was My Valley
    Mrs. Miniver
    Gentleman's Agreement
    Hamlet
    The Greatest Show on Earth
    Marty
    Around the World in 80 Days
    Tom Jones

19. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Guys, I was kidding about not seeing a movie with an exclamation point. I figure a remark like the one I made would be too ridiculous to be taken seriously, but it seemed to have an unintended effect. I guess my grinning smilie doesn't work anymore. [​IMG]
    Re: How Green My Valley
    I was kidding about that one too. Of course I'll watch it. C'mon we're talking about John Ford here. [​IMG] I can get over my prejudices of Star Wars not winning best picture, I can surely get over this one.
    Re: Chariots of Fire
    I stand by this one. I refuse to watch it not only knowing that it beats Raiders, but in the word of critical and common acclaim, nobody has really said any high praises of this film that I've even heard of.
    With the excpetion of Chariots of Fire, I have a desire to saw ALL Best Picture winners.

20. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Terribly ashamed:
    Schindler's List
    Platoon
    The Apartment
    Somewhat ashamed:
    Braveheart
    Unforgiven
    A Man For All Seasons
    Mrs. Miniver
    Not ashamed, but not proud either:
    Gigi
    Tom Jones
    Around The World in 80 Days
    The Greatest Show On Earth
    Hamlet (1948)
    All The King's Men
    any Best Picture winner before 1938 with the exception of
    It Happened One Night and Wings.
    I also don't understand being proud of not seeing a Best Picture winner, no matter what movies it won over.
    Probably the only movies I'm actually proud that I haven't seen are Freddie Got Fingered and Baby Geniuses!