What's new

Best Picture Quality Ever (SEABISCUIT and others) (1 Viewer)

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
I'm sure this is old news to most of you but I just saw Seabiscuit for the first time last night. I thought the movie was okay - a little corny in places - but man the picture quality was hands down the best I've ever seen on DVD. I have several supposedly reference quality discs and Seabiscuit utterly destroys them. Just breathtaking clarity with no flaws whatsoever, something that is very rare on my 82-inch wide screen. Nothing else even comes close to this disc. I wish I liked the movie a little more, because I would buy it for sure.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I agree, Larry...Seabiscuit looked awesome! With each passing Tuesday, DVDs hit a new level of reference. In fact, is there anymore room for improvement?

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
"Yesterday's best becomes tomorrow's worst."

I get what you're saying, as a generality, but in this specific instance, I disagree. Seabiscuit IS leagues ahead of every other DVD I've seen, period. Seven PE, Training Day, Mullholland Drive, Toy Story, Below - all films I own that stand out from the rest of the pack - all bunched up and left far behind in Seabiscuit's wake. Like I said - nothing else comes close.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'll be the first one to admit that when I'm reading DVD reviews and the critics start getting into some of the fine details of the transfer, I start feeling like I'm reading one of my father's old chemistry books.

Still, I think - like many things in art - perceived quality involves some small measure of subjectivity. Do you like film grain? Some do. Do you like a more natural "film" look, as opposed to a sharp "digital" look? Some do.

That's why I don't think it is ever possible to quantify any work of art - or even any work of man - as the "greatest achievement ever". At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is what is most important to you.

Having said that -- here are my choices for the best transfers I've seen recently:

Sleeping Beauty: SE
Once Upon a Time in the West: SE
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: SE
Finding Nemo
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Casablanca (Warner Bros. Collection)

Great work.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Mine would be
Matrix Reloaded
Alien ( quad )
Terminator 2 EE
Indiana Jones and the raieders of the lost ark
Once upon a time in the west
Two Towers EE
Fellowepship of the ring..

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
The best I've seen so far is The Pledge.

When they want to, Warner can really do some beautiful transfers.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Seabiscuit is indeed a gorgeous transfer, but one that would have been much better without the edge enhancement it suffers from. It's not BAD, but definitely noticable.

My reference transfer of the last 6 months has been, surprisingly enough Undercover Brother. If you haven't seen this you're in for a surprise. Not only is the film *hilarious* (and one that gets better with each subsequent viewing), the 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer is simply stunning. Stunning! Color saturation and detail are spot-on throughout. On my ISF calibrated Hitachi 57SWX20B it's the most high-def looking DVD transfer of a filmed movie that I've seen yet.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Seabiscuit was produced via DI (digital intermediate).

The DVD may have either been produced directly from the digital files or via a normal film to tape transfer.

RAH

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
The best I've seen recently are:

Underworld
Freddy Vs. Jason
Finding Nemo
The Lion King: Special Edition
LOTR:TTT Extended Edition

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Ernest... very well said.

I'll second Lou's choice of Glengarry Glenn Ross - the facial detail is a sight to behold (did ya ever think we'd be giving such praise to Artisan...?). I'll also add the Bad And The Beautiful as one of the best B&W transfers I have ever seen.

Herb.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I thought that the recent restoration of 1938's Robin Hood was truly exceptional with Glorious Technicolor

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It helps if someone lists his equipment when praising a transfer. For me, it has to look good based on how it looks on a CRT front projector with a large screen.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Fifth Element (SB) hands down for "digital" look. Ernest brings up a good point.

For a more "film" like look.
Once Upon a Time in th West
LOTR:FOTR- although I'm not floored by the movie itself.

Most recently, Underworld is amazing. For a film so dark.

EDIT: DV CRT

KimK

Stunt Coordinator
Freddy vs Jason definitely has a first class transfer and I don't think I've seen it done better.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
My 2 cents-

Black And White movies-

Casablanca 2 disc SE
Sunset Boulevard

Color movies-

Matrix Reloaded
X2: X Men United
Fellowship Of The Ring
Terminator 2 Extreme Edition
Alien 2 disc SE

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Check out the Bjoern site in regards to FOTR... Some interesting obervations as to the softness....
TT had a bit too much EE for my taste.
Training Day blows away the LOTR discs as far as detail IMHO... Just stunning...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks