Best Picture Oscar Collection - Musicals Question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Whittle, Jan 24, 2005.

1. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Hi just saw this looking at cover art over at DigitalBits

Best Picture Oscar Collection - Musicals (My Fair Lady Special Edition / An American in Paris / The Broadway Melody of 1929 / Gigi / The Great Ziegfeld)

Anyone know if the Gigi disc is a new trasfer or the same band-aid letterbox transfer?

This has a street date of February 8th and I don't remember it being announced!

Any news?

John

2. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

John, not sure where you are coming from here. Gigi was released in 2000 in its OAR of 2.35:1 on an anamorphic DVD.

It's certainly not the best transfer in the world, but it is head and shoulders above many other MGM musicals such as Brigadoon that were released around the same time.

Hopefully it has at least been remastered, because 5 years is a long time in the DVD encoding software world.

Ted

3. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Ted,

Thanks for the reminder (the mind is the second thing to go--can't remember the first). Got out my disk and it's a flipper with 16:9 on one side and P&S on the other. It's also english 3 channel (although I remember the Freed documentary had "Little Girls" as the end with the chorus on the surrounds).

It's a nice box set, I hope that the Gigi transfer has been revisited if anyone knows.

John

4. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I doubt its a new transfer. Warners usually doesn't remaster for these boxed repackaged specials. I like the transfer of Gigi I just wish they had a full blown documentary about the making of the film.
    I would like to see some musical extras. They could match up the original tracks of Leslie caron to the film so wee could see how the numbers with her would sound like.
    I would also like to see the second, cut, Gossip chorus matched up to the film.
    the second gossip chorus is sung when Gigi and Gaston go to Maxims near the end of the film. It was decided to take this chorus out of the film by not using it and replacing it with Maxims crownm sounds inthe finish movie. But you can look at the film and see the people are singing!! Thsi chorus is on the Rhino CD and it would be great to have it matched up to the film.