Best photo printer for <$300

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Drew Bethel, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Just curious to hear what's the best bang for the buck out there these days. I'm buying the Olympus 5050 today and will eventually need a nice printer and would like to get as close to professional quality as possible for the $.

2. Keith Outhouse

Keith Outhouse Stunt Coordinator

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

The Canon i950 and Epson 960 are very highly regarded. The best dye-sublimation inkjet printers on the market! There may be a newer Epson out right now, but I haven't been keeping track since I got my Epson 2200. [​IMG]

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

BTW, the printers mentioned above are also considered the best printers at ANY price, if you use picture quality as your criteria. Longevity of prints is another matter, but most people won't be concerned with that especially if they take care of their prints.

5. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

Drew,

I recently bought the Canon i850 at BB for $135.00
    ($149 - 10% during preferred customer weekend).

It is a great photo printer.

6. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I'd highly recommend Epson thats all I've used for the last 10 years never been a big fan of HP especially when I got one of my first Epson Photo Printers and paid around 150 for it and the image quality blew away that of an $800 HP Professional printer sitting by it[​IMG].

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Ewww those PCWorld rankings are terrible...the number one ranked printer outputs "washed out pictures"? WTF!

Stick with the Canon i950 or Epson 960 (aka 950) or other high-quality printers reviewed by photo professionals...they at least produce quality output. Keep in mind though that, regardless of printer, you may need to color-calibrate it if you're concerned with color accuracy.

I would not trust any reviews from a PC magazine. 90% of the time they have no clue what they are talking about, if quality and price-performance is your goal. Stick with www.dpreview.com and reviews from digital photographers, who at least take the time to calibrate their equipment and thus are familiar with all the little details.

Some sites with thorough reviews:

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers_page.htm
    http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/

The latter has links to reviews of cameras, printers, and kitchen sinks lumped into one page, so take care finding the printer in question.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

interesting max - i didn't read this specific article, but i find pc world to be pretty fair. if they don't like a product they rank it low and tell you.

that's something i wish more a/v journals did.

plus, i usually find their results to match most other websites. for example, i know they ranked the WD hard-drives as a best-buy - which just about everyone else will agree with.

anyway, to each his own. [​IMG]

10. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Wow, great advice guys. I will definitely cross check PC World's reviews before relying on them.

Any other advice to go with my new 5050? PC World recommends Photoshop Elements 2 which goes for around $100.

Also, where can I find the best online price for a 512 card for the 5050? Thanks.

11. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

bump...

12. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Anyone else?

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

drew - just an fyi. bumping is generally frowned upon here. but...since i just replied, consider this a freebie bump! [​IMG]

14. AlbertA

AlbertA Stunt Coordinator

15. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

So far I'm liking what the reviewers have to say about the i950.

16. Keith Outhouse

Well, I broke down and bought myself the i950. Got it on Monday and played with it a bit. 4x6 glossy's look just like a real photo, maybe even better. Haven't run any larger ones yet but no reason they should be any different. The printer is quick and very quiet. Installation was a breeze. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Keith, thanks for the update. Can you use matte(sp?) paper as well? That is my only concern at this point...

18. Keith Outhouse

Yes, I did some 8.5 x 11 last night. I had the paper in upside down the first time, looked terrible. You can't visually tell which side is the good side. Once I put it in right it worked great. Seems slightly less detailed then the glossy. Haven't tried any satin paper yet.

19. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You can use virtually any approved type of paper you want in today's inkjets.

Glossy, semi-gloss, matte, fine art, etc.

Just avoid all Kodak papers...they are absolute garbage -- ink will run when wet, terrible metamerism, ink flakes off, etc.