What's new

Best photo organizer and manipulation program? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Trying to talk my business partner into buying a Mac.

One program that he can't find for Mac is COMPUPIC PRO
which is a superb photo viewer, organizer and resizer program.

Is there anything comparable on the MAC that I can tell him
is available?

Thanks

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
If you are shooting in RAW format, two of the most popular choices are Apple Aperture ($199 MSRP) and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom ($299 MSRP). You can try both with free 30-day trial download.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 ($99 MSRP) is another popular choice, with much improved organization and viewer features.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I'm not familiar with the program your friend uses, but the more I've been using Aperture, the more I like it. Unfortunately, I only have 2 weeks or so left on my trial period, then I have to pony up the $200!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
What's wrong with iPhoto, Aperture or Lightroom? I took a look at that program and it's impressive...but I don't see anything that isn't available out of the box with even basic iPhoto and Apples' QuickView for files etc.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I'm not familiar with CompuPic Pro, but Parker may find iPhoto to be perfectly fine. If not, then Adobe's Lightroom and Apple's Aperture are the two main photo software apps for Mac that I'm aware of.

I settled on Aperture 2.0 - made by Apple, works perfectly for my uses and integrates well with OS-X.

For more advanced photo editing, Adobe have recently released Photoshop Elements 6 for Mac, or there's always the full Photoshop CS3 for awesome photo power :)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Well, intuitive is in the eye of the beholder. I personally don't think any of Adobe's apps qualify as intutive - but longtime Photoshop mavens will surely disagree. ;)

Phil Kim has the best advice - both Aperture & Lightroom have 30 day free trials. They're both good apps - try 'em both and pick the one that's best for you.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
iPhoto works pretty well for unless you are a heavy duty user.

I use Photoshop and would probably be in the category of a long-time user who thinks that it is intuitive even though it isn’t. Since I’m happy with Photoshop, I don’t have a perspective to comment on the other apps (except for iPhoto).

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Compupic Pro is only about $80. Maybe a combination of iPhoto and Adobe PhotoShop Elements would do the trick for about the same price.

He could check out PhotoShop Express, Adobe's new online version of PhotoShop. It is closer to PhotoShop Elements in features than the full version of PhotoShop but at least it is free.

-Keith

ErichH

Screenwriter

Perhaps we forget the many years of learning Photoshop.
I was referring to Lightroom as intuitive. Photoshop takes many moons, so I agree ;)

I also agree that iPhoto can satisfy many people who do not need editing beyond a few basics. I have a client who keeps a 10,000 plus collection in iPhoto. I hate the file handling & heavy cache load via libraries, but she loves the interface with email, .mac, book ordering, etc. Not bad for what it is.

I think Ron's partner will find something great on the Mac side.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
That's one thing that is great about Aperture 2.0 as well, is that it will interface with all off the other Apple producs that you mention (.mac, Mail, print products, etc.). I'm down to 11 days of my trial period, so at some point I need to give Apple some more money! ;)

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
For people who like a straight-forward approach and don't necessarily want iPhoto to take over (i.e. people who like browsing file structures like in Explorer), or anyone just curious should also have a look at GraphicConverter, which is much more than "just" a conversion program.

-Christian

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For fun stuff like being able to cut a person's face and put
it on another body and/or object which program would you
recommend....

Lightroomor Aperture 2?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Neither one of them can do this. You need an editing program like Photoshop. Aperture and Lightroom are photograph workflow applications, and they have limited editing tools. The applications with powerful editing tools normally have limited organizational power, and vice versa.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks