What's new

best permorance by a real athlete in a movie (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Alex Karras is the first name that comes to mind, when talking about athletes in film. He really did some nice bit parts in a few films.

Another name that hasn't been mentioned is Fred Dryer, on the TV show Hunter. I had never known that he used to be a pro football player when the show was on.

Jason

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Brett Favre in There's Something About Mary is good if just for his line to Matt Dillon.

Matt: "What the hell is Brett Favre doing here?"

Brett: "I'm in town to play the Dolphins, you dumbass." :)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
"The Admiral" in "Like Mike"... he allowed Bow-Wow to slam-dunk over him. That took some skill to let that happen !

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I thought Tara Lipinski was pretty good in Ice Angel, but I doubt many will agree with me.

If we're going to have a worst category, I'd say Shaq in most anything. The man just cannot act. he can't even play himself in Nestle Crunch commercials convincingly.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Does Sam J. Jones from FLASH GORDON count?

And what about OJ Simpson's turn in NAKED GUN?

Too bad someone already mentioned Kurt Thomas in GYMKATA...a real diamond in the rough that one.

And no Hoosier love for Matt Nover in BLUE CHIPS?

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor
Fred Williamson of all the blaxploitation films, the film MASH, and many other things was a star in the old AFL and had an infamous role in Super Bowl I.

I can't believe no one mentioned O.J. in The Towering Inferno :)

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
I thought John Matusak did an admirable job in North Dallas Forty. He didn't have a huge part but he showed some real passion when he went off on the assistant coach about wanting some feeling put back in the game, "Everytime we call it a game, you call it a business. Everytime we call it a business, you call it a game."

Alex Karras was also good in Against All Odds.

Ben Silva

Stunt Coordinator
Jim Brown was great on West Wing as Adml. Fitzwallace.

The guy who played the rival jockey in Seabiscuit (I think his name is Gary Wolfe) did a pretty good job for it being his first time.

DaveButcher

Stunt Coordinator
Burt Lancaster, he was an acrobat before becoming a film star.

Although if your going for traditional/professional athletes, I've got to side with Jim Brown.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks