Best PC joystick for flight sims?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Driscoll, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Yes, I did do a search, but there really isn't that much in the forum for joysticks, it's mostly pads and controllers.
    Anyway, I'm looking for some PC joystick suggestions. I am building an AMD XP 1700+ based system and I have a GeForce2MX400 64MB video card that I'll upgrade to GF3 when prices come down. The stick is primarily for combat flight sims. A USB (or USB 2.0) interface is a requirement, along with an option to add a seperate throttle. It would also be good if there was an option to add rudder pedals. My price limit for the joystick (or a stick/throttle combo) is $100.
    Another question, I have only tried one force feedback joystick and that was several years ago. I was not very impressed, the feedback was slow and didn't seem related to the actions actually occuring on the screen. Have force feedback sticks improved significantly? I would appreciate comments from players who have switched and those who tried FF and then went back to a regular stick. TIA

2. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

I've seen a lot of interesting news coming from Thrustmaster on their new Cougar HOTAS USB set. Give that a look-see.
    I've been a Thrustmaster fan since the FCS - then the FLCS w/Mark2 trhottle - and if this stick lives up to that mark, it's good news for us flight simmers.
    Also, check out C&H's line. They make an impressive product.
    Check here for sales info.

3. Dan Driscoll

Helloe James,
    I do like what I have read so far about the HOTAS Cougar, but it looks like it will be well out of my price range. My understanding is that the stick alone is going to be closer to $200 than $100.
    What do you think of the TM Fox 2 Pro and Pro 2 Shock?
    Thanks for the CH link, I'll give them a look.

4. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Dan,

Actually that link is to a retailer of flight sim products that I use. Their catalog contains just the best products, not the "filler" like a lot of other shops. They do a pretty good job of weeding out those products that aren't worth your money.

Unfortunately, I have had no experience with the Fox line of TM sticks. But, recent TM products have left me wanting. ESPECIALLY when compared to the sticks they were producing 5 years ago.

The Cougar looks like a return to their old form. Which is great news indeed. When they are on top of their game, no one makes a better stick than TM.

The Cougar is definately an investment, but like the FLCS and FLCS Pro, two "expensive" sticks in their day, it should be an investment that will pay significant dividends. Nothing breaks a simulation's illusion of reality quicker than a sub-par HOTAS set.

Money spent on good input gear is money best spent. That is, if simming is your number one goal in gaming.

Bang for buck, though - give C&H a try.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

5. Luke_H

Luke_H Stunt Coordinator

You may try
    X45 Joystick/Throttle
    I don't own it but it seems like it has good build quality and reasonably priced, I've seen it for less than $70.

6. Henry Colonna

Henry Colonna Stunt Coordinator

There are really only two choices - the Thrustmaster Cougar, which isn't even going to be out until April - for about $250, and the Saitek X45, which does not work with Windows XP. So far I've had to exchange my X45 about every 3 weeks for another set as they've been breaking. If it keeps this up, I'll just use the $80 towards the Cougar when it shows up!

7. Dan Driscoll

That's for the suggestions and here's an update. I decided to go with the TM Fox Pro Shock (USB) for the time being. I found one cheap ($30) and figure it will do until the HOTAS Cougar comes out. Then I'll decide if it is worth upgrading.