Best Panny DVD for under $400?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RichB, Mar 10, 2003.

1. RichB

RichB Extra

Dec 9, 1999
    I've got about $400 to spend on a new DVD player. I've liked the old panasonic player I used to have, so I think I'll stick with them. But I'm a little overwhelmed by all the available models, so could someone steer me towards the best of the bunch? I don't need progressive scan, but I understand that just about every player is anyway. This will be coupled with a Denon 3803 receiver and my Sony KV-32XBR250 TV. Here are just some of the models I've come across. Can anyone make some suggestions?

Panasonic DVD-RP91
    Panasonic DVD A120
    Panasonic DVD RV32S
    Panasonic DVD RV32K
    Panasonic DVD RV30
    Panasonic DVD RV31K
    Panasonic DVD RV20
    Panasonic DVD A115
    Panasonic DVD XP50
    Panasonic DVD XP30
    Panasonic DVD RP62K
    Panasonic DVD RV31S
    Panasonic DVD CV52
    Panasonic DVDCV35 DVD/Video CD/CD 5-Stack Changer
    Panasonic DVD RV65
    Panasonic DVD CV51
    Panasonic CP67 Super Slim Progressive Scan DVD-Video Changer w/ Panasonic DVD RP56
    Panasonic DVD CV50
    Panasonic DVD CV40
    Panasonic DVD CP67K
    Panasonic DVD C220
    Panasonic DVD CP67S
    Panasonic DVD RP62S
    Panasonic DVD A320
    Panasonic DVD CP72S
    Panasonic DVD RA60
    Panasonic DVD RV30S
    Panasonic DVD K510
    Panasonic DVD A160
  2. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

Sep 27, 2000
    The RP91 is an awesome choice if you can get it for under $400, I thought it was closer to $600. The RP82 would be my second choice.

I just checked out the specs on the XP50 and I don't understand, the site lists its retail as $130 MORE than the RP82, yet its features are poorer: no 4:4:4 signal processing, no MPEG DNR, etc. It does have "super slimline with mirror finish" oooh!

I'd be interested in what others have to say. The new libe of Pannys comes out the end of April, so you may want to hold off and see what happens then.

Good luck

Robin Smith
  3. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Jan 3, 2001
    You can the RP91 for $378 new at onecall. Forget about the RP82 its been discontinued and is hard to come by. The new line of Panny's won't have any high-end models, so right now the 91 us a great deal.
  4. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

May 28, 2001
  5. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Jun 20, 1999
    According to the shootout, the XP30 passed many more of their tests than the RP91 did, although I could be reading it wrong.
  6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

Aug 18, 2001
    If you're only using it for interlaced video, then the RP91 should be great. If you need progressive scan, then the other players in the RP/CP and XP series are better, except they don't offer aspect ratio scaling.

Personally, I would avoid the new Panny's unless the cost savings is a priority. With very limited use, I found the interlaced output of the S35 to be suspect, but I'm not sure if it's more the fault of my RPTV's deinterlacer.

7. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Jul 19, 2002
    I agree with the comments about the interlaced output of the new Pannys (S35, S55, F65, F85). If you're not concerned about progressive scan, the RP-91 is probably your best bet of the currently available Pannys, which really only includes the models mentioned here and a few places where you can still get the XP-30 or 50.