Best Palm Applications

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew_S, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

I just got my first palm and I'm clueless as to which programs are the best out there. I've found a couple of sites (www.palm.com and www.versiontracker.com) but they are mostly clogged with crap. I'd like to get some good free ones (of course) but i was wondering what the "holy grails" of palm apps were, free or not.

2. sean_dietz

sean_dietz Agent

Matt,
    Check out Palm Boulervard and ZD Net for starters.
    My favorite program is Total Car($10) from
    Witkowski-Design. Look under 'Travel'. Its a handy program for tracking car expenses, fuel/mileage, etc. Worth the 10bucks in my opinion.
    I have a IIIxe, and within 2 weeks of having it, filled 6mg with utilities. Have fun!There are tons of good free programs out there.
    Sean

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I'll give you a breakdown of what I think has really opened the doorways for my Palm/PCS phone:

DocumentsToGo - This lets you push word and excel (and another version puts Powerpoint) into your Palm. You can also edit them, with nearly all the tools available (excluding the level of versatility for formatting). You can also put in all kinds of Excel formulas as well, which helps if you capture figures and results and don't want to jot them down and transcribe to a computer. Highly recommended. I think it's shareware, but worth the purchase.

Plucker - This is a nice offline web capture and view program that is invaluable. I like it a great deal better than AvantGo because of it's versatility with unprepared (ie most websites) websites. You can also take advantage of the palm prepared sites too. It's an opensource, which was developed primarily for Unix. It does have a windows start menu interface or you can opt for the command line level interface. It takes some getting used to, but the viewer is extremely capable, and I found it really nice to go grab web pages and take them with me. Includes image converters too. This is open source freeware.

These both get a ton of activity from me.

4. sean_dietz

sean_dietz Agent

Alex,
    Thanks for the info on Plucker!![​IMG]
    I use AvantGo all the time, but most of the sites
    I visit are not listed with them. Have you tried
    Plucker on the Home Theater Forum?
    Thanks,
    Sean

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Oh yeah, I ran it from the movies page and sent it to two depth (ie go to the next link). Took quite a while, but it was all there. I think if you could set up the URL to only show topics from the last day or less, it wouldn't be so extensive an archive (especially with the 50+ page threads out there now).

If you have any questions on how to get it up and running under windows, which I admit is not clear to do from the docs, reply or e-mail me and I'll help out.

6. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

I can't get plucker to work!! I installed the files and now i have no idea what to do. (sorry, new to palm apps) Can you give me some direction? Thanks.

7. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Best palm application? Since no one has said it yet, I guess I will:
    My stiffy [​IMG]

Jon

8. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Sorry, I lost track of the thread or I would have responded faster.
    All this assumes you have a Windows machine.
    After the software is installed, a quick run can be accomplished as follows:
    Run the Plucker.chm (the help file - careful, there are several)
    Press the Setup default database button
    • Set your Palm username, which is generally your name
    • Everything else should be fine as default
    Press the Edit Channels button
    • Find the web address you want to capture
    • Put it into this in the following format:
      Yahoo Homepage
    • Change the following tags to meet your needs:
    • MAXDEPTH - How deep it looks. 1 will give you just the page itself. 2 will collect information one link in. Keep going for as long as you want. Beware, because some will get a ton of links. I tried the Home Theater Software page and it took some time even at a depth of one.
    • NOIMAGES - this will skip any images. If not, it will create a black and white or color version of any images on the page. Very effectively as well. Leave this off if you want images.
    • STAYONHOST - this will prevent it from following links that don't stay on the same host as is listed in the link. For example, it will not follow a link to www.msn.com if you are capturing www.yahoo.com. Leave off if you want all links.
    Finally, click build database to grab the site.
    When you sync next time, you will have the website (stored as a database) on your palm.
    Now, when you can use this help file with it's easy buttons to build one database. If you want to create several different page grabs, you will find that you can manage this from your start menu. You will find that the Plucker start menu group contains items like Add a New Database, as well as subcategories for all the other actions you saw in the help file. Use these for all your future database needs. The only other thing you may need to touch is the plucker.ini in the folder. This has the defaults for new databases, so if you consistently have to change something you can change it ahead of time. Other than that, Plucker can be administered from within the start menu entirely.
    Please let me know if this helps you out. As I said, I had to struggle a bit with it before I got the hang of it. When you get a handle on it, you might find it as indispensable as I do.

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Try www.palmgear.com
    Some apps worth checking out:
    Datebk4
    BigClock
    Launcher3
    HandyShopper2
    JFile Pro
    Mapopolis
    ThinkDB
    Tip Master
    SpaceWar (great game!)
    ParensLite (along with MathLib) (replacement calculator)
    Hackmaster (with the following hacks[​IMG]
    GlowHack
    MiddleCapsHack

10. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Jon_Are beat, pun intended [​IMG], me (actually himself) to it!